Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCIII Slow start

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 02:15 PM
luckystars5
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCIII Slow start

I am thinking of getting a PCIII for my 06 Ultra but I dont want to lose the instant startup I have. Does everyone with a PCIII have to crank the engine over a few times before it starts or does this only happen with some bikes?

Thanks, Bob

Old 02-12-2007, 02:21 PM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: PCIII Slow start

I am going to be adding the Power Commander to my bike as well. From what I have read on other posts it is something to do with the fuel pump circuit and most people dont act like it is a real huge deal. But it can be avoided if you hit the starter before your light goes off.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:27 PM
luckystars5
Intermediate

Thanks,
I heard there is a momentary power interruption to the PCIII when you start that causes the PCIII to have to re-start, causing a small starting delay. If you start just before the engine light goes off maybe that prevents the interruption.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:45 PM
Doc
Cruiser

I have a PCIII on my 07 Ultra. I have the delay as well. This is what the folks a Power Commander told me to do. (They are aware of the issue) As soon as you turn the ignition to on, hit the starter. Don't wait until the fuel injection light goes out. Mine now fires on the first turn. I asked them if this would hurt the bike? They stated it wouldn't hurt anything.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:53 PM
luckystars5
Intermediate

Thanks for the info, I only have one question left about the PCIII. Does anyone know if the idle RPM can be adjusted with the PCIII?
Bob

Old 02-12-2007, 04:00 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It can not be adjusted except through remving timing or starving fuel at idle.... neither are good solutions.

The starting delay is really nothing. It's only different because you are used to a blip. After a couple months, you wont even notice.

Old 02-12-2007, 04:20 PM
luckystars5
Intermediate

Come to think of it, I never wait until the EFI fuel pump quits whining on my car before starting the engine. I'm not sure why I got into this habit on the Ultra. Sounds like the delay can be eliminated by starting up right away. Either that or I'll get used to the slight delay and not notice it after a while like Rhubarb says.

Old 02-12-2007, 05:43 PM
buffalo tom
Intermediate

I wonder if you download the free accelerater pump option from pc's web if it would help?

Old 02-12-2007, 06:06 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

It can not be adjusted except through remving timing or starving fuel at idle.... neither are good solutions.

The starting delay is really nothing. It's only different because you are used to a blip. After a couple months, you wont even notice.
Actually, I never noticed it until I started reading these threads. Now that I've become aware of it, it is not an issue at all.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:10 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: buffalo tom

I wonder if you download the free accelerater pump option from pc's web if it would help?
Its not fuel related, so that would do nothing. Looks like PC could fix it, the SERT from harley and the vance and hines fuel pack do not do it.

Quick Reply: PCIII Slow start