Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCIII Slow start

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 11:59 AM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: PCIII Slow start

ORIGINAL: allen.m

But with the tests that we have done, the problem seems to be in the map.
So, do you have any idea where or what in the map is doing this.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:04 PM
swomack
Road Master

When I bought my bike I was told to never ever start the bike until the light goes off and this was fom the owner of the dealership.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:52 PM
Hardly Dangerous
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: FLHT

ORIGINAL: allen.m

But with the tests that we have done, the problem seems to be in the map.
So, do you have any idea where or what in the map is doing this.
Jeez ya know I forgot all about the two or three revs to start. Thanks for reminding me! [sm=sigh.gif]

Hey Allen or anybody else that believes it's map related. What about being a nice guy and posting your map that works and one that doesn't so the rest of us can figure out what's going on. Isn't this forum about sharing? [sm=deal.gif]

Old 02-14-2007, 01:06 PM
ultra2006
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed it on my 06 ultra, yes change the cranking take couple of turns.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:07 PM
mariner227
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm also interested in the maps that do not have the slow start issue. I installed the pcIII myself and the first thing I noticed was the slow start. Due to weather conditions I have not been able to ride the bike to see if there are other adjustments to be made to the map. I went with a combination that Jamie from FM recommended. ( pcIII usb, k&n ac, supertrapp slipons. )

Old 02-14-2007, 01:30 PM
UGGA
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I first started a post about the slow starting PCIII issue back in 2005. Here's a link:

https://www.hdforums.com/m_186898/tm.htm

I've had a lot of correspondence with the folks at Dynojet, and initially they acted as though they had never heard of the problem. Who knows, back then they may not have. Anyway, after talking with these folks a bunch of times and sending my PCIII to them to look at, they finally acknowledged that something was wrong. When I disconnect my PCIII the bike fires instantly, every time. When I reconnect it, the bike cranks for about 2 seconds before firing. Multiply this several thousand times over the life of the bike and you can see where this will eventually cause premature starter failure.

I've used 2 different canned maps (004 & 161)from Dynojet for my setup and they both do it. I even had a custom dynotune done at a Dynojet center - it still does it. Is this problem major? Of course not - but it still aint right. What really ticks me off is all of the trouble that I had to go through for Dynojet to even admit there was an issue in the first place. I've just learned to live with it, but I still don't like it. When I'm out riding with my buddies, they fire up instantly. Of course they're not using PCIII's. In hindsight, I wish that I had gotten the SERT instead. Oh well.

By the way, like another poster above said, I too was told by my dealer NOT to start the bike until the startup lights go out.

Doug

Old 02-14-2007, 01:46 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok, still waiting for a way to fix this If the problem is a constant power source it should be a easy fix to find the hot wire and wire it to a different source that doesnt interupt as it does now.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:49 PM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

Ok, still waiting for a way to fix this If the problem is a constant power source it should be a easy fix to find the hot wire and wire it to a different source that doesnt interupt as it does now.
I agree, there has to be a way to make this right.

Old 02-14-2007, 06:55 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Ok, and I'll believe you when you produce one map or version of firewarethat doesn't do it.

Your info would have been fine without the attitude.

lp

ORIGINAL: Shovelhead Bob

You a Tuner????

You have installed these on what, 50-100 bikes and tuned them.....

Didn't think so.....

You tell me, how is the power dropped after the CEL turns off......

It is always powered, wether it is while the CEL is on or off, there is a minimum of 9vdc going to it during cranking.....

I have installed enough of these POS' and tuned them to know and understand them..... That is why I like the SERT, no "Interface" issues, additional harness' to tuck away, and no software problems..... A better product, more capabilities, and a FULLY operational Diagnost Mode....

PC's are antiquated, and rely on Throttle Position and Engine RPM to control the AF ratio.... It's called Alpha N, and it is great for Drag bikes, but sux on the street....

Old 02-14-2007, 07:30 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

basically the check engine light that comes on when you first turn engine on is only what they call a P.O.S.T. (power on self test), just the system doing an internal test and of course the pump is powering up being sure there is enough fuel pressure in the line to start.
Setting the idle, you should still be able to adjust the idle with the low idle / high idle set screw
on throttle body ( if the newer models still have it, my older 01 does).

Also, I had a pc on my 98 fltri. I had intermittent hard start and intermittent dying on road (usually after coming off interstate and stopping).
PC said their system was so sensitive to ECM signals I probaly needed to replace the CPS.
I did that and the problem went away.

Quick Reply: PCIII Slow start