Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCIII Slow start

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 09:23 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: PCIII Slow start

You have to hook up your PC to a PC (Personal Computer)....

In the PC Tools menu, Open the UTILITY and verify the current Version..... (Pretty sure that is how to do it)...

I am not in front of my Tech PC, and my memory is about as long as my schwantz, and that aint saying much......

Old 02-12-2007, 09:40 PM
ffb
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, i have a question,

most of my performance cars have fuel injection pumps with pressure regulators ,etc,which i assume is the same set up as the harley ???
and ,i wait until they stop whirring before i hit thestart button.

the reason is to give time to the fuel pump to fill up and get full fuel in the lines .

the suggestion made of pushing the start button on a harley before the light goes off ,i think, will overtax the pump, right ?,,or not ??

any experts on this topic out there

Old 02-12-2007, 11:26 PM
gabhart
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 49 Posts

If you have delayed starting using a PCIII:

Watch the PCIII when you are starting the bike. When you turn the ignition on the PCIII will do it's selftest (LED's flashing back and forth) along with the bikes ECM/fuel injection. When the engine light goes out the fuel system becomes pressurized and power is removed from the system ALONG WITH THE PCIII (the LED's turned off on the PCIII, yes?). When you hit the starter button power is reintroduced to the injection system, ECM AND the PCIII. Since the power was removed and then reintroduced to the PCIII the PCIII has to go thru it's self test again thus causing the delay.

That's it in a nutshell.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:39 PM
mariner227
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gabhart
This makes sense to me. Thanks! I installed the pcIII and noticed the slow start. I'll check this out when I get home.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:48 PM
Neil
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

gabhart,

Without owning a PCIII yet, your explaination makes the most sense. When I think of how the bike starts; after turning on ignition you hear the feul pump charge, then when you hit the starter the feul pumps fires up again. It makes perfect sense. Now if there was just a way to power the PCIII with a constant lead from the ignition without the delay and the problem would go away. Good job!

Neil

Old 02-12-2007, 11:53 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine fires off like on first crank after I wait for the light to go off.

Steve

Old 02-13-2007, 12:24 AM
Lurch
Intermediate

I have the delay on my 07 if I wait.
Now I just hit the Start immediately after the Run--fires right up.
If there is a firmware fix for this that would be nice.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:48 AM
Boxer Harley
Intermediate

Same thing happened to mine after install. Two starter push to get it cranked.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:53 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with what Bob said.... In fact, let me go back & read my original post.....

Yea.... something in the MAP. Also the idea of firmware rev differences makes sense.

When I get a chance, I'll compare the MAPs & report back.

Mine works FINE, and my MAPs work fine on units that have the problem with fuelmoto MAPs.

That's all I have to say on this topic.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:54 AM
jj9150
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: gabhart

If you have delayed starting using a PCIII:

Watch the PCIII when you are starting the bike. When you turn the ignition on the PCIII will do it's selftest (LED's flashing back and forth) along with the bikes ECM/fuel injection. When the engine light goes out the fuel system becomes pressurized and power is removed from the system ALONG WITH THE PCIII (the LED's turned off on the PCIII, yes?). When you hit the starter button power is reintroduced to the injection system, ECM AND the PCIII. Since the power was removed and then reintroduced to the PCIII the PCIII has to go thru it's self test again thus causing the delay.

That's it in a nutshell.
i was wondering about that!....i noticed the same thing with the slow start with mine, and noticed that the pcIII power light would do a weird thing if i left the engine light go off. then it would start slow. tried hitting start right away (while the engine light was still on) and presto perfect start! now what i do is kinda give it a 1..2.. count then hit start. the engine light is usually good for a 3 to 4 count, so i let it prime for a couple seconds but i hit start just before the light goes out and it seems perfect. the slow start sure seems taxing on the battery and starter thats for sure!

Quick Reply: PCIII Slow start