Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour Pak

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013 | 06:41 AM
dead wait
|
Intermediate
Default Tour Pak

I'm wanting to add a tour pak to my 08 street glide. Anyone have any suggestions as to which one to buy. Best bang for your buck. Any things you would Not do again. I'm just looking for some advice. My wife seems to think that she would be more secure with the tour pak instead of the sissy bar. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-04-2013 | 06:49 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by dead wait
My wife seems to think that she would be more secure with the tour pak instead of the sissy bar.
I went from sissy bar with passenger grabrails to a tourpak with wrap around backrest and the new armrest kit, all HD. The wife feels like she is no longer hanging on for dear life and is super comfortable. Mounting and dismounting are easy. I added the LED tourpak light kit to bring the tail lights up "in the face" of vehicles behind me. EVERYTHING HD. Not the cheapest way to go but IMHO the best, at least for me.

Old 03-04-2013 | 06:54 AM
iglideUC
Road Captain

Removed mine for the opposite reasons. Wife felt restricted and confined and found getting off and on was weird. She described it as sitting in the bucket seat at a carnival ride and strapped in. Now she rides with backrest and only use Tour-pak for anything over 2 day ride.
The leds are a great added feature to the tourpak though!!!!!!
Detachable is the way to go and you can bounce back and forth to decide. Agreed on the HD products also!

Last edited by iglideUC; 03-04-2013 at 06:57 AM.
Old 03-04-2013 | 07:06 AM
dead wait
|
Intermediate

Thanks fellas. Is this what HD calls the King Tour Pak. What's the damage after taxes on this setup if you don't mind me asking.

Old 03-04-2013 | 07:08 AM
ICIBUY
Road Master

I went the cheaper route and bought the Fairing Factory Razor Pak... huge mistake! It took lots of work to make it paintable, 90% of the "pre-drilled" holes for the hardware did not line up, therefore I had to re-drill almost everything! If I were to do it all over I would have paid the extra $ up front and bought the Harley Pak!

Old 03-04-2013 | 07:09 AM
Streetin
Cruiser

Went from backrest to aftermarket trunk thinking we would only use it for long trips. It hasn't been off since. I mounted the trunk as far back as I dared go. My wife doesn't like backrest because it is too confining behind drivers backrest. Trunk doesn't have wraparound backrest for the same reason as iglideUC said.
There are lots of choices of trunks. Just need to find the one that fits your needs and price.

Old 03-04-2013 | 07:18 AM
RPS1981
Road Master

I don't know if I have any "advice," but I will share my experience.

I wanted to add a Tour-Pak to my 2006 Street Glide for storage on trips and comfort for my wife/daughter. Looked at aftermarket options and for ME, quickly decided it was H-D or nothing.

I priced them new and had a heart attack. Don't forget, when looking at color matched Tour-Paks in the P & A Catalog, you have to add the back rest and the lock. They're sold separately. So I decided, "I'm going to save a ton of money by buying used and having it painted if I can't find one in my color."

So I began watching the classified section of the forum and eBay, and ultimately scored a nice, used King Tour-Pak on eBay, complete with backrest, luggage rack, speaker pods, lock/keys, and detachable mount. It was even close enough that I could pick it up and save shipping.

But you know what? By the time I bought the H-D paint, and had a friend spray it, I didn't save much at all over the cost of a new one. I saved a little, but not huge. I would say you could save if you found a good price on a used one in your color and didn't have to paint it.

Now that it's on, it rarely comes off. My daughter and wife LOVE it and would much rather ride with it than the backrest. In fact, after the detachable backrest hung on the wall for a year without ever getting used again, I sold it on eBay. It's crazy how quick you get used to the extra storage, even around town for helmets, etc. I pull it off once in a great while (couple times a year?) and put the skinny Street Glide seat on when I'm just in the mood for a different look. But 99% of the time, it stays on. Can't really "feel it" back there empty, but load it down with luggage and throw a bag on top and you'll feel the added weight, just like you do when you add a passenger.

Mine is set up like the King Tour-Pak from a Road Glide Ultra, if you are familiar with that (double antennas, Road Glide Ultra-specific rear emblem, side LED lights, speaker pods, liner). It also has the big luggage rack on top.

Flip flop back and forth weekly on leaving it as is, or adding the LED Tour-Pak light bar from H-D.

Said all that to say, No regrets, Love it, Not cheap.

Last edited by RPS1981; 03-04-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old 03-04-2013 | 07:30 AM
dead wait
|
Intermediate

Thanks rps1981. That's what i'm looking for. Looks like im gonna just have to bite the bullet and do it right the first time. Thank you all for your help.

Old 03-04-2013 | 07:43 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member

Well, I'm gonna throw a wrench in the works.

Take a look at this;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300725200633...84.m1438.l2649

Seems like it's pretty close to OEM quality and you can't beat the price (as long as your bike is Vivid Black). If you've gotta get it painted, he sells one even less expensive that has small paint defects.

There are a lot of pretty cheesy aftermarket Tour Paks out there, but this one looks decent and gets great reviews from everyone who has bought one.

Just something to think about.

Old 03-04-2013 | 07:44 AM
Lucky1958
Cruiser
Default Tourpak

I had the HD King tour pak on the four point mount on my SG.
It was great for trips with the wife.
I really enjoyed the look of my SG without it.
Soon I found it on there all the time. Really nice having a place to put everything.
Its going to cost you but you wont be sorry going with the HD parts.
And it will look good.
By the way I replaced the SG with a Limited. I knew there was no sense buying another SG then adding a tourpak again.

Quick Reply: Tour Pak