Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for opinions on exhaust....

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 10:48 PM
shipley0583
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Looking for opinions on exhaust....

Hey guys looking to replace my exhaust this spring/summmer. I have read and seached these forums and youtube for hours. Ive looked at true duals, 2-1 and 2-2 (big radius type). Right now I have stock headers with Rinehart Slipons w/out baffles and its still not loud enough for me. My first bike was a 05 883 sporty with 1 3/4 drag pipes. Next was my Vrod with BUB jug huggers. I guess Im one of the rare ones that like the really loud bikes bordering on obnoxious..lol. Not really concerned on the performance aspect just looking to get that loud harley sound. Im thinking I want to go with true dual headers with slip ons. But seems like every one I listen to still doesnt have the sound im after. I love the sound of the big shot duals but not really a fan of the small diameter pipes. Are there any true duals and slipons out there to give me what im looking for? Thanks in advance!

PS. What is the popping everyone talks about? Is it the kind of popping that occurs on like drag pipes when you back off the throttle at like 4 grand or is it something completely different?

Thanks again guys!

Old 03-03-2013, 11:16 PM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Have looked a dragos true duals? I don't have them installed yet, I just got them in Saturday I hope to have them on in a couple of weeks , so no help there sorry. Not my bike in the video but sound is pretty good ,

Old 03-03-2013, 11:35 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I have a 2-1 Thunderheader which is fairly loud but iI have heard a basically stock bike with V&H classic duals with Samson unbaffled fishtail slipons that was awesome. If you like that loud cracking sound of drag pipes these are right there.

I think the popping sound often mentioned here is just what you mentioned. I kinda like it.

Last edited by txfxstrider; 03-03-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:36 PM
shipley0583
Advanced

Thanks Crimson..I didn't know they had a true dual setup and it does sound good. Their 2-1 sounds just as good as well. Decisions decisions. Trying to pick an exhaust for a bagger is probably the hardest thing I have ever done. If I had a softail or dyna it would be the big radius w/o baffles no contest but i like the way the duals look from the back. Thanks again Crimson! Ill check them out. Gosh Im gonna drive myself nuts...haha!

Old 03-03-2013, 11:40 PM
shipley0583
Advanced

I have thought about the Theader txfxstrider but i have read the finish doesnt hold up all that good. Any truth to that? And yes I love the crackling drag pipe sound. Ill check those out as well. Thanks!

Old 03-03-2013, 11:44 PM
cspainting
4th Gear

I just installed a set of the MGS pipes and mufflers. They are loud, but have a nice deep sound.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:46 PM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

you welcome, I had t header on my dyna and I have to say I love the t hunder header sound the finish was ok not any problems for me. You are right aboout picking exhaust for a bagger. Good luck with your search.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:50 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,200 Likes on 2,441 Posts

I've always like the sound of the Rush Slip-ons. Video below has them set up in a couple different configurations.

The last one in the video is what I'm running...no baffles with W258's

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 03-03-2013, 11:58 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by shipley0583
I have thought about the Theader txfxstrider but i have read the finish doesnt hold up all that good. Any truth to that? And yes I love the crackling drag pipe sound. Ill check those out as well. Thanks!
My Thunderheader is black so I don't expect any finish problems. I know someone that has a chrome t-header on an evo and the finish looks fine. The chrome at the openings at the end of the collector looks discolored on some bikes I see but is easy to to clean up with Mothers Mag and chrome cleaner or most any chrome cleaner.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:15 AM
shipley0583
Advanced

cspainting yeah i checked the out the mgs exhaust they do sound good. congrats on the exhaust!

Crimson appreciate it. Maybe theader has better quality now. im not sure. just basing it off of what i have read here in the forums.

DKcustom I really like the sound of that especially the last one. Sounds awesome! Now Im even more confused..haha! What is the thunder torque? Are they similar to the BCT baffles?
Thanks guys! Appreciate all the info!

Quick Reply: Looking for opinions on exhaust....