Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide Drivers Back Rest Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 11:31 AM
Cliff-AZ
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street Glide Drivers Back Rest Suggestions

Hello Friends,

Please assist me with selecting the right backrest and hardware on a stock 13 seat.
Ive been combing HD's website and a little confused. I will be mail ordering this stuff so I want to get it right.
I'm looking for a matching driver backrest for the stock seat. I would like the option to adjust its fixed position (if possible)and remove it on the fly when I'm doing short rides. Pop it on for long ones.

Thanks In Advance!

Cliff - AZ

Old 03-03-2013, 11:40 AM
FXR_Hamster
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to agree the HD website is a bit confusing on this accessory. I am looking at future purchase, so am interested to hear from others. Seems like there are two types, one that has some adjustability and the other which has the GAS spring to adjust on the fly and have been told can be adjusted to lean full forward for easier passenger mounting. What I don;t get is the styles of pad are limited to each model type and of course you must buy the mount kit for your specific model. Perhaps those with some experience might want to chime in here and clarify for us that have not been able to see this even up close. Hope someone better than myself can help out.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Old 03-03-2013, 12:37 PM
HDchrome
Cruiser

I had a riders backrest on my 2001 Road Glide, kept it when I sold it. Wanted to put a riders backrest on my 2012 Street Glide, and noticed that the old backrest was a perfect match for the new Street Glide stock seat. Got the newer mounting bracket 52589-09 ($40 at HD) and the 52914-98 backrest I had fit it perfectly. It will lean forward to get on easier. I put the mount all the way back, and it fits me well. Smaller guys may want to install the mount in a middle position. Heed the instructions about backing out the adjustment screws on the backrest until they come out. Bee-ach to get back in.

Last edited by HDchrome; 03-03-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:02 PM
Cliff-AZ
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HDchrome
I had a riders backrest on my 2001 Road Glide, kept it when I sold it. Wanted to put a riders backrest on my 2012 Street Glide, and noticed that the old backrest was a perfect match for the new Street Glide stock seat. Got the newer mounting bracket 52589-09 ($40 at HD) and the 52914-98 backrest I had fit it perfectly. It will lean forward to get on easier. I put the mount all the way back, and it fits me well. Smaller guys may want to install the mount in a middle position. Heed the instructions about backing out the adjustment screws on the backrest until they come out. Bee-ach to get back in.
Thanks. Can you quick disconnect/remove the backrest easily on this setup?

Old 03-03-2013, 01:05 PM
cweiss
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 18 Posts

I had this set up on my 07. A buddy previously had it on his 11. Interchanged. Only issue is dont lean back to hard or you will damage your rear fender where in mounts...

Old 03-03-2013, 03:27 PM
HDchrome
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Cliff-AZ
Thanks. Can you quick disconnect/remove the backrest easily on this setup?
Yep, just squeeze the two support rods together and pull up. They are spring loaded. To install, squeeze them together and insert, making sure the support rod ends go into a set of holes in the mounting bracket.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:48 PM
badfish67
Intermediate

So I have a 2013 Street Glide with the drivers backrest. There are two different pads that will match based on the look you like. You can get the comfort stitch or the smooth. I liked the looks of the comfort stitch better. For the mount I got the manual adjusting one since I figured that once I found the correct postition I would not be moving it. It took me a couple of rides to get the mount where I wanted it and now I wouldn't ride without the backrest.