Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome Fork Lower Installation Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 08:23 AM
Tanker2
Road Captain
Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Chrome Fork Lower Installation Question

I have searched and searched. Yes I have a manual. I'm going to do a chrome fork lower install. Here on the forum just recently a guy posted a chrome lower fork install with pictures and instructions beginning to end. It was great. But I don't think the heading to his post said anything about chrome lower install. Can anyone tell me how to find that post? I have searched Google and this forum for an hour and can't find it. I wish I had saved it, but I didn't. Any help would be appreciated. Or point me to another good one. Thanks

Old 03-03-2013, 08:41 AM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 325 Likes on 247 Posts

There's hundreds of posts on this project....here's a couple of videos that helped me complete the project. Let me know what other questions you have.

http://www.motorcyclemetal.com/gpage1.html

Old 03-03-2013, 09:24 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 546 Likes on 268 Posts

There are a few issues you need to be very careful about, one is removing that allen in the bottom that holds the innards in, it can be tricky and if you strip that head, you have problems.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:45 AM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 325 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
There are a few issues you need to be very careful about, one is removing that allen in the bottom that holds the innards in, it can be tricky and if you strip that head, you have problems.
Just take Jim & Amy's advice from the videos. Impact gun, air or hand should work. The biggest problems I had was the left leg was a real bitch to get out of the triple tree. Just had some rust or whatever in there. Brute strength, PB blaster and a strap wrench worked. Then just removing all the bolts on the calipers, fender, wheel, those bolts are on there. Kind of scary muscling bolts while the bikes up on a jack.

The biggest issue I had was removing the fork tube cap bolts. I dropped the legs into the lower triple tree and then re tightened the pinch bolt back up and then loosened the cap that way. Just loosen it because it's under pressure. Then I completely removed the leg and carefully took the cap off. Putting it back in is a real bitch. You have to compress the cap against the spring and screw it into the fork tube. I built this to compress it and screw it in.

Last edited by sanman4ever; 02-23-2020 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:09 AM
Coastiejosh
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read all the advice her on the forum about removing the forks and replacing the springs. Like people have stated once you remove the fork bolt at the top, loosen the pinch bolt and slide the fork down and tighten the pinch bolt to break loose the plug. You will need a long 6mm allen head to remove the bolt at the bottom of the fork. Be prepared it you strip the bolt. My bolts stripped out and I had to drill them out, which was fine with me. I was replacing those bolts anyway. I installed progressive mono tubes. Any question let me know.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:04 AM
2ropes
Road Captain

I haven't pulled stuff apart to look yet and know I need to get a 6mm allen head socket but wondering just how long it needs to be. Will a standard size fit with a ratchet extension? Is a ball head OK, I'm thinking no because of the apparent torque required to remove or install.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:24 AM
The Q
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ropes
I haven't pulled stuff apart to look yet and know I need to get a 6mm allen head socket but wondering just how long it needs to be. Will a standard size fit with a ratchet extension? Is a ball head OK, I'm thinking no because of the apparent torque required to remove or install.
I bought a long ball end metric set from Sears and it worked just fine. You could probably cut a 6mm hex wrench and use a socket to drive it. It needs to be long enough to go through the axel hole on the left fork. And an impact makes it really easy too.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:28 AM
Stew Pidaso
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If all you are doing is replacing your lowers you donot have to pull the nut that holds the spring. Only the plug.

6mm long reach. Normal on extension wont work. No ball end. Go easy with imact. You only need to break it loose. DO NOT use impact to tighten when reassembling

Old 03-21-2013, 09:13 AM
Noble Jim
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

These issues are merely mechanical and procedural. You can work it out, using your manual along with the very good advise posted on this forum. The one thing that you MUST do, when you get it all back together, new seals in place, DO NOT OVERFILL with fluid. If you do, it will weep and leak. You will think your seals are crap. It could cause you to re-do the entire job. I know I did once, it was simply too much oil. Now go and have fun.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:32 AM
2ropes
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Stew Pidaso
If all you are doing is replacing your lowers you donot have to pull the nut that holds the spring. Only the plug.

6mm long reach. Normal on extension wont work. No ball end. Go easy with imact. You only need to break it loose. DO NOT use impact to tighten when reassembling
I'm installing a monotube at the same time so I'll have to pull it apart anyway.

Quick Reply: Chrome Fork Lower Installation Question