Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rider backrest.. Does it help with comfort ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 10:50 AM
2011FXDC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rider backrest.. Does it help with comfort ?

This may have been discussed before but I'm new to this section. Yes I know I could search but I'd rather just get some straight up answers. I'm coming from a Dyna Super Glide Custom and compaired to that the stock FLHX seat is pretty good. I was looking at the rider backrests though and wondered if they really make any difference in comfort or back support. I don't have any major back issues but if it adds some support that would be nice. Any real world opinions/reviews would be great. Thanks

Old 03-02-2013, 10:59 AM
danosrs
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a RK with a Mustang solo with back rest and love it. When on the highway without windshield it keeps me from having to hang onto my 16" apes like I'm gonna fly off. Get it you will love it and if you don't they are easy to sell.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:04 AM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 150 Likes on 83 Posts

I added the HD adjustable backrest to my 11 SG with the stock seat. I did not like how high the back rest was above the street glide seat ( as the unit is really designed to fit the larger electra glide seat). Also, with the gap, I was not getting the support for my lower back that I really needed. So... I cut, sectioned and rewelded the vertical bar that the backrest attaches to so that the bottom of the backrest sits flush with the streetglide seat. That took less than an hour to do in the garage (bandsaw and mig welder).

Bottom line - for me the backrest now is invaluable. It provides excellent lower back support, the adjustablity is priceless to dial in exactly where I need it and looks like it was made specifically for the streetglide.

It is super comfortable for both day long and multi-day rides. I do not run it for short rides, but the rest of the time it goes on and my back and body are so much more comfortable with it.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:08 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,604 Likes on 2,725 Posts

I bought my mustang because it looks fantastic. In reality its quite uncomfortable.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:16 AM
djamann
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Mustang seat and HD rider backrest and love it. I will never have another bike without a rider backrest, it makes a great difference. I just wish I got the solo seat since my wife won't ride.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:16 AM
Ape Hangers
Cruiser

Originally Posted by danosrs
I have a RK with a Mustang solo with back rest and love it. When on the highway without windshield it keeps me from having to hang onto my 16" apes like I'm gonna fly off. Get it you will love it and if you don't they are easy to sell.
+1 on that, I have a corbin, there are several manufactuers you can choose from: Danny Grey, C&C

Old 03-02-2013, 11:19 AM
Big Boz
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Without the backrest my riding position is what I would call "Hunch and Hang" After a ride my back would just feel tired and my wrists/forearms would be a little sore.

With the backrest, it forces me into a more upright sitting position and proper posture. This takes pressure off my back and arms and I feel better longer.

I also feel more locked into the seat and I can ride a little more aggressively. Not near the bike's capabilities, just a little more than normal.

The only time I don't like it is when my wife is on the back and we both have our leather jackets on. I get pushed forward just a little. It's not often, but enough to make me think about it.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:25 AM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 133 Posts

Absolutely worth it. Like 89FLT said it sticks up kinda high but it doesn't really bother me that much. This is one of the function over form type deals to me.

Also agree with Big Boyz...forces you to not slouch over so much which helps a lot as I start doing this when I'm on a long ride and don't realize it.

But do get the adjustable one if you get one...it's way better.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:26 AM
CHILLLS
Road Captain

YES....
& if you have the extra $$$ to get the adjustable one DO IT.
i feel that my adjustable back rest is by far one of the best mods ive done. i dont use it all the time but its nice to have. it gives you good lower back support & i can recline it back quite far if i feel like laying down (almost)

Old 03-02-2013, 11:29 AM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Have a backrest on both my Deuce and my Ultra. Couldn't imagine riding without one.

Quick Reply: Rider backrest.. Does it help with comfort ?