Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rider backrest.. Does it help with comfort ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 08:02 PM
basselope
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely makes the longer rides more comfortable for me. Just wish I could have gotten an adjustable, but they don't fit with a Tallboy seat.

Originally Posted by Big Boz
The only time I don't like it is when my wife is on the back and we both have our leather jackets on. I get pushed forward just a little. It's not often, but enough to make me think about it.
That's why so many biker Babes have big hooties. No need for the back rest, and if they push you forward a little... SWEEET!

Old 03-02-2013, 08:33 PM
cantonrider
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on this being the best mod I made. I am 6'2 and use the on the the fly adjustment all the time.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:02 PM
MontanaRider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ride a lot and the back rest is great. Relieves back pain and shoulder stress on long rides. Buy one. You will never regret it!

Old 03-02-2013, 10:54 PM
Panchorelly
Road Warrior
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Yes it is much better than without..... Don't like to ride without it

Old 03-03-2013, 12:10 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I found a backrest also helps fighting the wind when I was on my Deuce.

I always wondered about the upright riding position not bothering more riders. The spine compression without support is never good.

No one has a multi-hour occupation that I can think of that requires seating without a backrest, do they?

My Deuce had more of a hip-forward position with the forward controls and I found that made it even more necessary.

Even now with dedicated core strengthening exercises I can't image riding without one.

Originally Posted by 89FLHT
So... I cut, sectioned and rewelded the vertical bar that the backrest attaches to so that the bottom of the backrest sits flush with the streetglide seat. That took less than an hour to do in the garage (bandsaw and mig welder).

Bottom line - for me the backrest now is invaluable. It provides excellent lower back support, the adjustablity is priceless to dial in exactly where I need it and looks like it was made specifically for the streetglide.

It is super comfortable for both day long and multi-day rides. I do not run it for short rides, but the rest of the time it goes on and my back and body are so much more comfortable with it.
I had a friend do the same thing. I never ride without it, however. I figure my jacket is black, hardly anyone can tell by looking at me.

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
If you decide you want one, choose carefully because backrests are not interchangeable between manufacturers. What I mean is that an HD backrest won't work with a Corbin or Mustang seat and vice versa.
I have to disagree with you to a point. It may depend where the adjustable mount is located on the fender. I have the Mustang Sport Touring seat and it IS compatible. Per the site, " The baseplate is open in the middle to accept a Mustang or stock Harley® driver backrest kit."

Old 03-03-2013, 01:14 AM
dfndr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely. Not only helps back but arms and shoulders. The bike pushes you from the back, you don't eyed to use arms to hold on to the bars to stay on.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:26 AM
db2753
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

With the back rest, I find it easier when you have to back the bike up in parking lots.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:13 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Yes yes yes yes yes. Get a backrest even if you currently have a strong, pain free back. You won't believe the difference it will make for you. I suggest you ride a few hundred miles without the rest, then ride another few hundred with it. That way you will see what a difference it will make for you. Only down side is that in the summer it might sweat your back where it makes contact, but that's a small trade-off to say the least.
I have the Mustang wide touring seat with their backrest. Love it.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:46 AM
OldArmy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to go. Allows you more different sit postures on a long ride. I can scoot my butt way forward and lean back against it without having to hang on the bars. Also when flopped all the way forward it gives great support, kinda locks you into the seat when doing spirited riding.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:06 AM
josame
Road Master
Received 325 Likes on 173 Posts

Love it, But you must get the adjustable one. I find myself adjusting it from the start of the ride more forward, and as the day goes on I move it back. Not sure why! but it does make a long ride more comfy. For the short rides I take it off.

Quick Reply: Rider backrest.. Does it help with comfort ?