Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil in air filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 01:25 AM
uniondog1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in air filter

I installed a k&N air filter & pc 111 on a 07 ultra a few hundred miles ago. Today I took air filter off just to check things out and there was a little oil inside the filter - Is this normal?

Respect

UD

Old 02-12-2007, 01:34 AM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Oil in air filter

It could be depending on amount.
All harley's (well most all) have two oil blow by breather ports . one in each head.
they exit the head right behind the air cleaner and in a stock bike have rubber tubes
plumbed into the air filter.
some filming is normal.
Also there is an oil applied to most k&n airfilters to act as a particle filtration. You wash these filters by hand in a sink and recoat with oil (k&n sells a kit for this) about once a year, depending on your driving conditions and mileage.
However, if the oil is excessive have dealer check it out.
I have NOT seen any tech bulletins on this issue myself, but dealer installed an upgraded umbrella seal (located in valve cover/ rocker box).
Keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse.
good luck
ORIGINAL: uniondog1

I installed a k&N air filter & pc 111 on a 07 ultra a few hundred miles ago. Today I took air filter off just to check things out and there was a little oil inside the filter - Is this normal?

Respect

UD

Old 02-12-2007, 01:53 AM
Miklnparker
Cruiser

I noticed the same thing in my K&N today. Just a little oil, like previous post said. I'm guessing majority is the excess oil from the filter. On another note, the reason I noticed the oil was my filter cover was crooked and after checking it out, one of the three bolts holding the filter on was missing and the other two were loose. I used some locktite on the remaining two and I'm getting a replacement bolt. Jus something to keep an eye on if you didn't use locktite.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:03 AM
uniondog1
Intermediate

I got couple more question with the K&N install.
1. What did you do with the 2 little hoses that were on the vent tubes on the org filter set up?
2. What or how did you secure the electrical conection/plug that hangs below the throtle body that was attached to the org. a.c. backing plate ?

respect

UD

Old 02-12-2007, 11:26 AM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the vent hoses are used to take some of the normal oil spray and feed it back into the engine. I went with the AN AC on my UC. it has hollow banjo bolts that do the same, and I think probably a lot better. On a hard run/trip with a passenger with my WG (SE AC and SE IIs) I get some oil misting through the AC. So far, haven't seen this happen on my UC. Do a search, lots of info on this problem.it can be caused by a lot of things, but some light misiting is not unheard of on HDs.

just use a wire tie, and tie the wire out of the way. it is not used on most US models.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12616/6BC2ABD8EB434D20B0A65375AB1F62D7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-12-2007, 11:47 AM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The K&N filters drip their own oil into the housing because the filter is oily.I had to wipe out my housing a couple of times. I put to much oil on the filter after I cleaned it. It becomes less over time. It does no harm, other than it is messy.

The K&N instructions should tell you exactally what to do with the breathers and the wire.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:56 PM
uniondog
Advanced

Instruction say absoutly nothing - so thats what I did. The 2 little hoses are in a box. I think I will use a wire tie to hold the plug under the carb up out of the way.

respect

UD

Old 02-12-2007, 04:55 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well you have a couple options.
The dealer full flow set up comes withsome speciallydesign hoses that again fit into back of air cleaner assembly.

Or depending on your bike you can go to dealer or aftermarket catalogs etc., they make several different types of adapters that mount to the head Bolt to breather ports). then you can run hose (now singular) any place you want.
Back to the air cleaner or to a stand alone breather you mount where ever you desire.
K&N air cleaner and breather filter are nice as they are washable.
here's a link to get you started

http://www.jpcycles.com/search.aspx?...&store=All
ORIGINAL: uniondog1

I got couple more question with the K&N install.
1. What did you do with the 2 little hoses that were on the vent tubes on the org filter set up?
2. What or how did you secure the electrical conection/plug that hangs below the throtle body that was attached to the org. a.c. backing plate ?

respect

UD