Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Install help with progressive 444

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 07:30 PM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 204 Posts
Default Install help with progressive 444

Ok so this may be a silly question, but I want to be sure I'm doing it right and the tech support is closed so I am asking the real experts! You will see from the pics below that the instructions call for 80 and later (5 speed) all to use two spacers with on each eye. Problem is the bolts are not long enough for the spacers and they seem they will be too far away even if the bolts were long enough. They looked fine with me bolted on without the spacers. They seem to have the same clearance as the stock ones. Also, beige thing inside the coils stay there? It's kind of unsightly. Yes I know the bikes dirty! Ill be standing by in the garage with a cold one! Thanks!

Old 02-28-2013, 07:45 PM
mattbee
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 744 used just the one longer bushing. Put the bushing and shock in a vise and squeezed it until the bushing was all the way in the shock, doing the top and bottom.

Then bolt them up!

I don't know about the 444, but they look the same

There is a ton of extra hardware for other applications, so don't be confused by seeing other items..........

Old 02-28-2013, 07:48 PM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member

Oh ok. I tried putting the bushing into the eye and didn't fit. I figured it would go in easier if it did. Thanks!

Old 02-28-2013, 07:52 PM
mattbee
Cruiser

Chris, it takes a some pressure to get the bushing to slide in! I just used a vise, held it as perfectly straight as i could and tightened the vise and it pushed them right in with some pressure!

Good Luck, it's a breeze

Old 02-28-2013, 07:53 PM
BulldogBiker
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put these on an 01 RK just as the instructions said. Not that it really matters I also have the same Swingarm as your bike. Your pict#3 shows spacer before it is pressed into eye of shock. Are you saying that the bolt is short because of this? If I remember correctly I had to use a little wd40 or PB to get it seated. I also pressed the sleeve in so it was between the bike frame and shock just as it is shown in Fig 2 instructions. This should work for you. I also did PS Monotubes on the front and and really like this setup over the stock.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:19 PM
VinnyM
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I just put them on an 11 King, calls for the shouldered sleeve with the shoulder to the inside and the thin #3 washer.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:29 PM
slickrick_58
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

put the sleeve in the freezer and heat the washer up with a hair dryer.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:34 AM
Boyer8
Cruiser

I just installed mine last night. Install the shouldered bushing top and bottom and the will face inwards when you mount them. It's tight but you can push them in by hand. And use one of the silver washers top and bottom next to the shouldered bushing you just installed. Remove both you old shocks then with a jack you can position the bike where you need to so you can install the bolts.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:25 AM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks guys. I think I was overthinking it while constantly staring at it. I'll put putting it on after work!

It's kinda funny that I took out my cams changed the tensioner shoes and put in adjustable pushrods with no problem but this simple project confused the crap out of me!

Last edited by CGLTD; 03-01-2013 at 05:34 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:10 PM
texas steve
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got the 444 for my 2013 SG, haven't installed them yet, but I have a question. What about the part on the top of the stock shock where the quick disconnect (back rest etc) slips on? When you put on the progressive is it still there? Or does it come off with the stock shock? If so then you loose the QD feature?

Quick Reply: Install help with progressive 444