Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 sensor bung install

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 08:04 AM
rockajet1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default O2 sensor bung install

I am awaiting delivery of my Power Vision w/ the autotune wide band sensors and am doing some prep work. What size holes should I drill in the pipes for the 18mm bungs? Thanks.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:43 AM
11rkc
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

imo i would drill them a size which is between the od & id of your bungs. gives you some "meat" for welding and a little room for location error.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:16 AM
rockajet1
Tourer
Default Thanks, but....

Originally Posted by 11rkc
imo i would drill them a size which is between the od & id of your bungs. gives you some "meat" for welding and a little room for location error.
Thanks for the reply, but I was looking for an actual dimension since I don't have the bungs yet and I can't find those dimensions anywhere on the internet.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:24 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

When I did mine on my '04 EG w/ Rinehart true duals, I had the bungs, placed them on the head pipes and used a permanent mark the location to assure adequate room for the 02 sensors, then removed the head pipes for a local muffler shop to weld for me since I don't weld.

I describe what I did because there isn't a lot of room to locate the bungs w/o creating interference with the heads/cylinders when installing/removing the 02 sensors.

Carl

Last edited by Harleypingman; 02-28-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:31 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 150 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
When I did mine on my '04 EG w/ Rinehart true duals, I had the bungs, placed them on the head pipes and used a permanent mark the location to assure adequate room for the 02 sensors, then removed the head pipes for a local muffler shop to weld for me since I don't weld.

I describe what I did because there isn't a lot of room to locate the bungs w/o creating interference with the heads/cylinders when installing/removing the bungs.

Carl
+1 on the mark it on the bike before you drill it, be sure the angle is noted too. You don't want to have bungs welded in place with no room to install the large 02 sensors.

FYI, On my '12 & '13 FLHTK's, I removed the headpipes and installed a set of V&H #16759 Power Dual head pipes for 2009 application that had the 18mm bung welded in location. 10-13 uses a 12mm bung for the samller 02 sensors and 09 had the 18mm bungs near the exhaust ports. Piping is same except for bung diameter, angle, and location.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:47 PM
rockajet1
Tourer
Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by Harleypingman

I describe what I did because there isn't a lot of room to locate the bungs w/o creating interference with the heads/cylinders when installing/removing the bungs.

Carl
That sounds like good advise that I intend to follow. I'm was getting a little anxious and was hoping to get some prep work before the O2 sensors even get here. But perhaps some patience is in order. I've still got cams to install anyway. Thanks again!

BTW, Carl. I used info from a lot of your posts in putting together my sound system (i.e. accessing the rear channels, etc.) and it functions flawlessly and sounds awsome! Many props!!!

Old 02-28-2013, 03:05 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Glad to help with the bungs, and I understand the desire to do as much prep work to get ready to install accessories. (Note: in my original post above I erroneously referenced "bungs" being installed and removed; should have said 02 sensors; the error has been corrected in my post, but the quotes in subsequent posts doesn't pick-up the correction.)

As for the audio, happy to help; I had a lot of fun learning a lot of stuff I didn't know before trying to do some of these things and passing along what I'd learned just as many other members have done here on HDF.

Carl

Old 02-28-2013, 03:16 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rockajet1
That sounds like good advise that I intend to follow. I'm was getting a little anxious and was hoping to get some prep work before the O2 sensors even get here. But perhaps some patience is in order. I've still got cams to install anyway. Thanks again!

BTW, Carl. I used info from a lot of your posts in putting together my sound system (i.e. accessing the rear channels, etc.) and it functions flawlessly and sounds awsome! Many props!!!
It's very good advice to follow! There are several ways to get 'em wrong, but if you still want to get a head start you can probably find the bungs locally. They're only a dollar or two each so you could have everything ready when your stuff arrives. I did the same as Carl, & there still isn't a lot of extra room.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:33 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Absolutely right; there is very little room to locate the bungs to work with the sensors.

Another suggestion--have a chase handy to clean out the threads of the bungs for easy installation and removal of the sensors. I don't know if the muffler shop I used screwed up the bungs, or if they deform from the welding heat, but I found it impossible to install the sensors until I used a chase (actually a die?) to clean up the threads.

Carl

Old 02-28-2013, 06:55 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Bung location near the exhaust port is key for best performance and the angle they are installed is critical. The 12mm O2 sensors used for stock bikes have a narrow bandwith. The 18mm units are significantly larger and operate over a much wider bandwidth.

Take your time with the fabrication, as the angle and depth of bung in the header is everything. You don't want to get that header on with the O2s installed and have the O2s come close or contact the cylinder fins. Take your time and all should go well.