Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

outer fairing problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 11:07 AM
B@man
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default outer fairing problem

Can anyone post a few pics of how their outer fairing lines up to the inner fairings on your bikes.

I'm in the process of finishing up my winter mods & it seems that the right side (throttle side) of my fairing is over lapping the inner fairing too much.

I wish i had a picture handy, maybe some one has had a similar problem.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:26 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

May be an obvious question but did you remove the threaded fairing screw extension pieces? I changed my outer fairing and forgot to remove the extender pieces from the old fairing and place on the new. This created the same problem you are having. You probably already know that but thought it was worth a shot out there. It would have saved me an hour of scratching my head!

Last edited by Rickr01; 02-27-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:44 AM
Scaredofrain
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickr01
May be an obvious question but did you remove the threaded fairing screw extention pieces? I changed my outer fairing and forgot to remove the extender pieces from the old fairing and place on the new. This created the same problem you are having. You probably already know that but thought it was worth a shot out there. It would have saved me an hour of scratching my head!
Good point. Very good point.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:48 AM
B@man
Cruiser

i didn't replace the fairing just removed and then reinstalled, but i will check that out thanks....any other ideas would be awesome

Old 02-27-2013, 12:01 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 151 Likes on 109 Posts

I have found that it is best to start the 2 outer most screws. The ones right below your hand grip ends. The hole in the inner fairing is large enough to move the outer and get screws started in the other holes. Next I start the 2 screws down on the bottom, you should be able to move the outer around and aalign the threaded inserts up to get a screw started. Finally I slip the windshield in paying attention to the small rubber strips on the inner fairing outer edges. Be sure they stay centered over the lip. After windshield is located in position i install the center windshield screw followed by the balance of screws then confirm alignment and startig at the top snug everything up.

I have had some instances where it seems the bottom screws are difficult to align. patience is critical because, you can cross thread s screw in the brass thread insert and spin it in the plastic. There are oversized inserts available, should use heat, and it is possible to split the plastic outer fairing boss' when inserting the oversized thread inserts if you do not get it hot enough to reflow the plastic.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:05 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 151 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by B@man
Can anyone post a few pics of how their outer fairing lines up to the inner fairings on your bikes.

I'm in the process of finishing up my winter mods & it seems that the right side (throttle side) of my fairing is over lapping the inner fairing too much.

I wish i had a picture handy, maybe some one has had a similar problem.

Not close up but alignment should be visible

Attached Thumbnails outer fairing problem-flhtci.jpg  
Old 02-27-2013, 12:11 PM
B@man
Cruiser

im going to try and loosen all the bolts in the morning & see if i can realign. thanks for the help.