Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How I bought my Harley Davidson

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 09:54 PM
jcole
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the best threads I have read on this forum. Love reading the stories of peoples lives, bikes....

Old 02-26-2013, 10:02 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Props OP. I saved up for a long time to pay cash for mine. I stopped dumping extra money in my house and sold all my extra fixer uppers and got my first HD in 07. So glad she's all mine. PS if you want to finance then go for it. Its your buisnes.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:11 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Nothing wrong with financing toys as cheap as interest is right now - if you are not upside down and can afford the payments.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:31 PM
dboyenga
Cruiser

I had metrics from a kid until my early 30's. Family etc just like the OP. Didn't have time anymore so sold the last one back then. Always wanted a HD. My youngest went off to college the same year my Dad died in 2010. Turns out my Mom had been giving my sister some money to help her out over the years and wanted to even things out for me. She unexpectedly came through with some cash from a life insurance policy to even things out. First thought was to put it away for college etc. On a whim, started looking at used bikes on craigslist. That was it, done deal. So at 49 I got my 06 FLHRC and absolutely love it. So for the 3rd winter, I really can't wait for spring!

Old 02-26-2013, 10:57 PM
russd
Novice
Default just got mine

over the last 10 years i've owned a honda and a suzuki noe i just picked up a 2010 road king . i just need the weather to get better here in pittsburgh

Old 02-26-2013, 11:05 PM
elbohead
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by waltz4
I realized that I had a lot more days behind me than ahead of me
Well put. The sooner we realize this the better off we are.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:17 PM
Harleydaddy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I inherited a 2000 Indian Chief from my father when he died. That thing was high on the coolness factor scale, but nickel and dimed me with repairs all time. I finally got fed up, walked into a HD stealership for grins just to "look". Yeah right! Thats all it took. I saw my RK on the floor and made a deal right then and there. Been smiling ever since!

Old 02-26-2013, 11:34 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Great stories
I had been riding metrics for some odd years, had a few HD's but never a new one. Always fixer uppers.
We were use to riding cruisers. So one day I told my wife I want a true touring bike. She says a Harley, I say yea.
so she says if we can afford it go for it.
When I got home with it she said lets ride. We rode for a week before we cam home. She loved it.
Picked up a 07 Ultra, we put 60,000 miles on it in 3 years. Then she got sick, real sick-cancer.
I bought her a goldwing trike so she could ride by herself, she always wanted to to that. All she said it ain't no Harley.
Go her favorite color. She went and and seen it and started crying. I got her on it. She rode to the end of the driveway and came back.
That was the last of her riding. She passed away not long after that but I will never forget the look on her face when she rode by herself.
That was 2 years ago.
I sold the trike and bought a 2012 CVO Street Glide. I never rode the trike, just could not bring myself to ride it.
She would really love the SG just like I do.
I have remarried and my new wife is nothing but a Harley girl. If it ain't loud She don't like it.
Like my dad once said, you only live once enjoy it while you can.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:30 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,272 Likes on 1,849 Posts

From the time I saw my first motorcycle (in the late 50's) I knew that I would have one someday. They were very rare where I came from but in the mid-60's the little Hondas were starting to show up occasionally and that's when I really started getting the bug.
No one in my family had ever owned a motorcycle, so naturally my folks thought they were protecting from certain death by not allowing me to get one.
I started a "real" job in October, 1968 and 6 months later I had my new '69 Honda 175!!
For the next 5 years, I bought and sold a bunch of Hondas, and one BSA but in the '74 the H-D bug was getting to me.
Again, no one that I knew or rode with had a H-D and all I knew was that I liked the looks of the Sportster, so I bought one.
I can still remember my cousin (who had just bought a new 750-4 Honda) taking a ride on my Sportster and putting his bike up for sale and ordering a '75 Super-Glide!
Eventually, the other cousin who rode with us at the time, finally accepted the fact that he also wanted a Super-Glide even though it was over $3000 dollars (BTW, he's the only one who still has his first Harley).

Old 02-27-2013, 12:31 AM
redeye93
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Congrats waltz and welcome to the world of HD. I enjoyed reading everyone's stories and yes I'm a ride now pay later guy, but I'm on track to get it done early.

Quick Reply: How I bought my Harley Davidson