Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

test ride ---or ---no

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 07:19 AM
harley_badboy
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I would not allow anyone to test ride my bike. If needed I would gladly take them for a 1 hour ride in the bytch seat. That way they can see how the bike works. If they are against that then they don't want the bike that badly and are just out kickin tires.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:35 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeBel
Here's what I did when selling my Sporty. You offer them a 15 minute money-back warranty. Explanantion:
1) Let them hear the bike and inspect it.
2) Settle on a price. They pay in full, cash. You sign a bill of sale noting the date & time.
3) Take a couple pictures of them standing behind each side of the bike. Thid documents bike's condition upon sale. (Make sure your camera's date & time are set correctly.)
4) They now own the bike. If they hate it, they have 15 minutes to ride it back to you in the same condition as the pictures.

This satisfies the buyer wanting a test ride and it protects you from some dumb-*** dropping the bike while you still own it.

My buyer was thrilled and paid full asking price.
I've sold 4 bike this way. No problems.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:03 PM
BrianSF-GA
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Having sold several bikes there is only one way ... cash in hand and signed bill of sale before a test ride, no exceptions! Just sold my Night Rod last Sunday with no issues and it was advertised for only two weeks. Real buyers understand the process, if they don't, they are not a real buyer. Be sure to advertise it this way so there are no questions and you may want to include no test rides in inclement weather .... you don't want to have to detail it again if the deal falls through.

This procedure is also essential with built vehicles ... I sold my 600 hp Camaro last October .... rides only, no imclement weather and cash in hand for a test drive. The ultimate buyer bought it after only hearing it run ... no ride or test ride! Have also sold a 450 hp Lightning the same way.

You can never be too careful as a buyer or a seller.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:10 PM
05RKCRider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a friend who let a guy test ride his wifes customized SG, had guy write a check for selling cost & he held it & dr.lic. until guy came back. Guy totaled the bike, cops showing up to see registration, insurance & the guys license was how he found out. As soon as cop left he went to bank & cashed the check. It pays to be extra careful.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:36 PM
calabera
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I bought a 02 egc from a indy that was on consignment and i was not allowed a test ride and no warrenty, i also sold my heritage and the guy bought it without riding it.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:40 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

LOTS of great answers here. I'd say judge every potential buyer on a case-by-case basis, but in every case, check the license for the proper motorcycle endorsement, ask to see the money, and then decide whether he/she gets to fly or not.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:50 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,594 Likes on 974 Posts

Originally Posted by harley_badboy
I would not allow anyone to test ride my bike. If needed I would gladly take them for a 1 hour ride in the bytch seat. That way they can see how the bike works. If they are against that then they don't want the bike that badly and are just out kickin tires.
+1 If listening to it run in the driveway isn't enough, I'd take the seller for a ride thru the gears, not for an hour - it's not like he's comparing the ride and handling to other bikes - he just wants to be sure there are no major problems with the bike. It's not like a car where you worry about front end alignment or brakes pulling. Joe

Old 03-12-2013, 01:56 PM
ninetyzero
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hell no. A license is not collateral either. They can watch you ride it, and give you the cash. Their test ride can be the ride home.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:22 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I sold a bike and during the call to set a meet and great, the buyer said a test ride was a must. I said no problem, bring cash, bring an insurance card with your name on it (doesnt matter what vehicle), and your license. He showed up and gave me the insurance card, cash and his license, he got on the bike I was selling, and I got on my other bike, and we went for a drive. about half a mile. when he returned, we loaded up the bike, shook hands and he was happy. Me being on a bike helps my confort level that no stunts are going to happen and local laws were going to be obey'd. His insurance card covers any accidendets and the cash will pay for any damage due to operator error.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:27 PM
jetskier3
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would never let anyone test ride without cash in hand and me holding the cash while he test drove.Like signs say in stores..you break it you buy it

Quick Reply: test ride ---or ---no