Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

test ride ---or ---no

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 07:40 PM
slvdout
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I let the guy that bought my Nighttrain ride it, only after we had completed the bill of sale and I was holding the bank draft. I bought my Road King used from a dealer and they let me ride it first. They checked my DL and had me fill out a form just like you would on one of thier demo rides. Saleman told me that I'd be ammazed at how many people come in and want to test ride bikes with no motorcycle endorsement.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:50 PM
BB59
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Check your insurance. Mine does not cover anyone but me and my son riding my bikes period.

Kind of a sticky situation. I'd want the cash in hand and some kind of legal document but most would probably think that is unreasonable

Old 02-25-2013, 07:52 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,117 Likes on 5,824 Posts

License or not,money in hand or not...if they ride your bike and injure themselves...they will sue you and win. Never test rode any bike I have bought, or given a test ride on any bike I have sold.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:09 PM
equandt
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I went through this last April when I sold my '02 RKC.

First: Call your insurance agent and tell them what you are doing. Ask them how they prefer you handle test rides with regards to the sale of your bike.

Second: It's just common sense that anyone wanting to test ride your bike have a state issued motorcycle endorsement. You wouldn't let someone drive your car that didn't have a driver's license would you?

Third: I would at minimum make the prosepective buyer (test rider) at least put down, in cash, my insurance deductable.

How I solved it: I have a good relationship with my local HD dealer. We worked out a consignment deal based on our several year relationship. My bike was covered under their insurance for all test rides and the prospective buyers had to meet their criteria for test rides which included a motorcycle endorsement and a helmet.

The guy that ultimately bought my bike bought it without having a motorcycle endorsement and thus no test ride. The first time he rode my bike was after he owned it, paying for it in full and taking ownership of the title.

PS - he also totaled it six weeks later....my dealership had the bike in their shop and wanted to know if I wanted to buy it from his insurance company as a project.

Good luck with the sale of your bike.

Last edited by equandt; 02-25-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:36 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont allow test rides on mine... If the bikes in good shape and "as advertised" i havent even had anyone ask to ride it. I think its pretty much understood that it isnt going to happen...

Old 02-26-2013, 07:41 AM
qmann
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I make them pay cash up front. If the bike comes back in one piece we go from there. If not, I keep the full asking price and they keep the bike! My neighbor met in front of the bank, let the buyer take for test ride - never saw bike again and he had no information what so ever on thief!

PS- Not sure about insurance liability issues though - seek advice from your professional!

Last edited by qmann; 02-26-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:47 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,253 Likes on 22,615 Posts

Originally Posted by jimsflh
I'd be real careful about letting someone ride your bike, even with "money in hand" I'd start it, let them hear it. I'd ride it up and down the street and go thru the gears for them. People are stupid, and so are the courts!
This would suffice.
No need to go any further.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:43 AM
OldArmy
Outstanding HDF Member

You have to secure your interests. I would automatically assume that the rider is going to take it down the road and wreck it and walk away--that way anything less is gravy. I'll let them buy it, close the deal, but if they bring it back inside of a couple hours unsatisfied and undamaged I'll give them their money back and tear up the bill of sale.

And they can't have a motorcycle endorsement that the ink is still wet on.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:00 AM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,564 Likes on 671 Posts

Here's what I did when selling my Sporty. You offer them a 15 minute money-back warranty. Explanantion:
1) Let them hear the bike and inspect it.
2) Settle on a price. They pay in full, cash. You sign a bill of sale noting the date & time.
3) Take a couple pictures of them standing behind each side of the bike. Thid documents bike's condition upon sale. (Make sure your camera's date & time are set correctly.)
4) They now own the bike. If they hate it, they have 15 minutes to ride it back to you in the same condition as the pictures.

This satisfies the buyer wanting a test ride and it protects you from some dumb-*** dropping the bike while you still own it.

My buyer was thrilled and paid full asking price.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:44 AM
SUPRPIG
Road Master

Good suggestions here... thinking about selling my 09 EGC now stored at Hilton Head Island. Bought a 2011 Grand Sport Corvette and running out of storage space with all my other toys. Have not decided whether I really want to part with her or not. Good to have a chance to make decisions. Will be riding back north end of April.

Quick Reply: test ride ---or ---no