Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Road King owners with custom audio?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 06:31 AM
mflint1513
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Road King owners with custom audio?

I'm looking for a new sound system for the 2012 Road King. I have the Boom! Audio system that hooks into my windscreen but I hate that I can have sound when I roll without it.

I'm curious if anyone has a custom setup. I'm thinking maybe a small amp with saddlebag speakers. The amp will likely be a dual input amp so I can have one channel dedicated to the iPod/iPhone/iCrap and another for either an XM/Sirius module or some sort of tuner.

Anyone got anything like this?

Old 02-25-2013, 07:00 AM
B@man
Cruiser

I think you would be better off doing some speakers mounted in the crash bar. They would be aimed more at your face and you will actually hear the sound. Other than that a mini amp mounted in your bag will give you all the power you need to power a couple of speakers. All you would need is an rca to 3.5mm jack and switch to whatever source music(ipod sirius or whatnot) you wanted at the time.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:14 AM
mflint1513
Novice

Thanks, brother! Any suggestions on the amp or specific speakers?

Old 02-25-2013, 07:36 AM
B@man
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mflint1513
Thanks, brother! Any suggestions on the amp or specific speakers?
Im using the rockford amp, and hertz energy 6.5 speakers. The speakers ive heard nothing but good about. The amp ive heard a lot of mixed reviews on. I got it for a steal thats why im running it.

Alot of people on here are running soundstream amps which they like. I would do a little reading in the audio section, choose what fits your wallet best.

You have a little more freedom running the amp in the bag just because of the space. I didnt have many choices because i wanted to run the amp in the fairing.

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions/problems.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:58 AM
Razorback
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a set of Rumble Road speakers with internal amps on my bars for use with a ipod. There's a company out there www.uniqcycle.com that has a better sounding setup that is very similar. Easy mounting with the internal amps. My GPS can hold MP3s also as well as XM...but I dont subscribe. I'd like to put some bag lids with 6x9 speakers some day.

There's some pics in my album. you can see the custom GPS/ipod mounting block between them.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/membe...king-pics.html

Old 02-25-2013, 09:11 AM
Sammydogs64
Intermediate
Default Uniq Cycle Sounds

I purchased the Uniq Cycle Sounds system last year and am very happy with it. The amp is small and mounted under the seat in front of the battery. The speakers are clear at all road speeds up to 70mph. The downs are the vlume control is a little tricky when riding as its a little dial on the cable. Another thing is it doesn't have a speed sensitive volume so when you pull up to a red light its a little loud.

It cost about $300 and support is very good as well as install being easy.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:23 PM
DaSchpiel
Novice

I'm also interested - I remember Dragonfly posting something they may be coming out with but there was no anticipated release date or description of their offering. Hopefully they are going to bring something that gives us RK owners a clean and powerful system

Old 02-25-2013, 08:45 PM
TaterSaladonaRoadking
Tourer

I have a unique cycle sound system mounted to my handle bars and the amp is in the right side cover. Works awesome in rain, at 70 mph and with/without a windscreen. Been running it for 4 yrs ( took it off my old bike). Absolutely, love it and I can still fit windshield bags above the speakers! Bought a scosche wireless controller for the iPod so I have touch button control, even with winter gloves on.

Last edited by TaterSaladonaRoadking; 02-25-2013 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Clarify
Old 02-25-2013, 08:54 PM
Arsharknose
Advanced

mflint
I'm also in the market for some tunes for my RK. I've been exploring option of adding some hard lowers to my King and putting speakers in them like some of the RK CVOs out there. But not sure that the sound from them will be clear or loud enough. I was wanting to avoid the speakers on the bars. I know it's an expensive route buying the lowers but was wanting to add them anyway.

Anybody out there have any experience with speakers in lowers?

Old 02-25-2013, 09:29 PM
TaterSaladonaRoadking
Tourer

Problem with lowers is do you really want to keep them on in 90 degree weather? And if you take them off you lose your speakers. That is the main reason I went with handlebar speakers. I have yet to ride the bike without handle bars.

Quick Reply: Any Road King owners with custom audio?