Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone cut thier baffles down. SE slipons

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 01:30 PM
mayday
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone cut thier baffles down. SE slipons

I have a set of SE slip-ons on my 05 RK Cust. The baffle slides right out after you take the 3 bolts out that hold the exhaust tips on. I am thinking about cutting them right in half and re-attaching at the rear just like before. Has anyone done a similar thing? How was the sound? What did you use to cut them?

Thanks!

Old 08-15-2005, 02:13 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 149 Likes on 42 Posts
Default RE: Has anyone cut thier baffles down. SE slipons

Not sure of the style of baffle you have, but if it is the one that has the open foward end, you can use a few hose clamps to cover the core and change the sound.

Old 08-15-2005, 03:02 PM
cbrunson
Tourer

I haven’t cut the one’s on my king yet, but I did cut the baffles in half on my 05 XL 1200 C. I reshaped the cut end to keep some back pressure. I noticed a difference in both sound and performance. It rolled on better with faster revs. Of course it was louder too. It was a good sound too. I pulled the left baffle out on the king and ran it. It runs good with less restriction, but sounds like crap. Looking inside, I would cut right in front of the rear port. It should still have enough back pressure. After pulling mine out, I would also recommend putting seal tape around both ends to help keep moisture out. My baffles are already rusting, and I’ve only had the bike two months.

Old 08-15-2005, 10:13 PM
teach
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a question for you. Did you try removing the baffle yet after removing those screws? The reason I ask is I thought the same thing on my pipes, but in fact there is a small tac weld at the inner end of the baffle.

As to cutting the baffles, yes it can be done and as indicated by others you can alter both the sound and tuning.

Old 08-16-2005, 02:14 PM
mayday
Cruiser

Thanks Teach.......Yes I have actually had my baffles out on several occasions. I just unbolted the end caps and the right side just pulled right out with little effort. The left side was a bit wedged and I had to pull the muffler off and "tap" it out.....but no weld for sure. Interesting how there are small differences in these things.....probably points out that HD has used different suppliers for the SE mufflers.

But I do plan to cut my baffles down this week by taking a little off at a time until I like the sound. I will post back here and let everyone know how it worked out.

Old 08-16-2005, 08:01 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

not to sound stupid but................how would you cut the baffles and after you cut them what keeps them from sliding out of the muffler

Old 08-17-2005, 01:44 PM
cbrunson
Tourer

ORIGINAL: screamn_eagle

not to sound stupid but................how would you cut the baffles and after you cut them what keeps them from sliding out of the muffler
The bolts that hold the end caps on, bolt into the end of the baffle. I cut mine with a thin cut disk on an angle grinder. If you don’t have a grinder, a hack saw will do it. The header end of the baffle would be the end removed. However, by doing this, there is a potential for leakage at the header. I would wrap the end of the header pipe with exhaust seal tape and also the end of the baffle ½” back from the cut. That should prevent leakage and rattling from the loose end of the baffle. I have also used high temp Permatex to seal exhaust. It works great IF you let it cure 24 hours. You can get it an any auto parts store.

Old 08-17-2005, 03:42 PM
mayday
Cruiser

Thanks cbrunson! I really like the idea about the seal tape. You made a suggestion about where to cut (right in front of the rear port)....not sure I follow. You know how when you look into the rear of the baffle and its wide open until about 1/2 way down the baffle. I was going to cut it there so that all would be remaining is the large "flow thru" part of the baffle and try that out first. If I want more sound, I figure I cut more of the baffle out. Just like slicing baloney

Thats my plan anyway......sound reasonable to you??

Mayday

Old 08-17-2005, 08:13 PM
cbrunson
Tourer

If you look at my crappy drawing of the baffle, there are (at least) two baffle plates in there. The holes (ports) in those allow the exhaust to flow somewhat freely. The screen with packing serves as acoustics. If you look down the baffle with a flashlight, you can see the two holes. You should also be able to stick a ape measure in there to see exactly how far back they are. I would cut at least a half inch beyond the baffle plate indicated. This will still keep some back pressure but increase the sound a lot.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2043/BF4D7E16A6354BDFBE0E1A2BDCACED2B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-17-2005, 11:51 PM
mayday
Cruiser

You da man!! Ask and you shall receive.....drawings and all!! I am very visual when it comes to this stuff. So you hit it right on the numbers.

Thanks Again!!

Mayday

Quick Reply: Has anyone cut thier baffles down. SE slipons