Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring riding after major surgery?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013 | 08:50 AM
wagsrk08
|
Road Captain
Default Touring riding after major surgery?

Getting old does suck I guess. lol. Next month I'll have a total knee replacement. Was too chicken for both, so opted for one then wait a year or until the pain starts bugging me again. Of course my main concern is riding my Touring bike again. Myself and a group of buddy's plan on going to Milwaukee in August for the big birthday party. By then it will be 5 months after surgery.

So how many guys here have had a total knee replacement and still ride? I'm early 50's and in great shape but bad knee's (military, running, etc). I'm not too hip on a 3 wheeler yet, but if I run into problems I guess I could turn my 08 Road King into one. Would like to hear your story's or how well you did. I appreciate any and all input. Thanks!

wagsrk08

Old 02-23-2013 | 09:07 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member

This is just my opinion. No offense intended. But since you asked. I don't think this is the best place to get the advice you are looking for. Everybody's situation is different. What works for somebody else may not work for you. And vice-versa. Instead, you might want to consult with a therapist who knows your situation and treatment plan. Your doctor should be able to help you out on that one. Good Luck.

Old 02-23-2013 | 09:12 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bingee
This is just my opinion. No offense intended. But since you asked. I don't think this is the best place to get the advice you are looking for. Everybody's situation is different. What works for somebody else may not work for you. And vice-versa. Instead, you might want to consult with a therapist who knows your situation and treatment plan. Your doctor should be able to help you out on that one. Good Luck.
Yeah, but I think it's OK to share stories and situations just for the sake of talking it out too. I'm certain that he'll talk to his Medical folks along with this post.

( Now I've never had knee issues but I'll be spending a night in a Holliday Inn Express next week, so I'll get back to ya' OP!)

Old 02-23-2013 | 09:16 AM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
From: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!

Me and My old Man did at 7 months after one knee and the then again, the next year and 1/2 . THe key is the PT (physical therepy) if you do what they tell you, you will be fine and find that you have way more energy. IF you take my old mans' route that the MD's dont know what they are talking about, well then your gonna find some issues. My advice is do what they tell you to do !!! We put man on the Moon, this to can be handled.

Old 02-23-2013 | 09:24 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Hello wags. I had TKR Dec 19,2011. I was 53 when I had TKR. After the TKR, I was riding my X 5 weeks later. It was tough swinging the leg over the seat, but asked my therapist to work with me on some additional PT to increase the ROM. In March of 2012 I was in Daytona riding 2 up and walking 5 miles per day.

The recovery time for a TKR really is very close to 12 months. I did therapy for 2 months. I started Dec 24th and completed late Feb. In late Feb I was back to spin classes. I used the spin bike to help with ROM and continue that today. In 2012, I have been to the dragon and have made many rides over 500 miles single and 2 up. I was really able to push my therapy when the doctor told me, you cannot hurt the knee. That told me it was all muscle tendons and my desire.

If you want to talk any more, PM me your phone number and I will be happy to give you a call. TKR is not easy, and the first 2 weeks you will be in a lot of pain. Therapy helped me get back fast.

Old 02-23-2013 | 09:30 AM
mike5380
Road Master

I agree with what Bingee is saying, listen hardest to your Doc rather than the "testimonials" you hear on this forum. But, make sure your Doc knows that you want to ride a motorcycle with the new knee, that might make a difference in what he decides to do.

I'm 61 yrs old now and have one bad knee, but not enough for a replacement right now. But, may have to cave in for the replacement in another year or two. I'm figuring that might be a good time to trade the RK for a trike.

100% of my riding is solo, so the only one at risk is myself, but if I were even occassionally two up, I'd have to default to the trike.

Best of luck.

Mike

Old 02-23-2013 | 09:36 AM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member

I know apples and oranges, but my step-dad had TKR both at the same time and within about 3 months he was out jogging. He said his knees felt a million times better after the surgery.

Old 02-23-2013 | 02:16 PM
wagsrk08
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Bingee
No offense taken Bingee, but I wasn't asking for opinion's if you re-read my original post. Are you a social worker? I was inquiring to anyone who has had an actual TKR, rides and how well it's worked out for them. They can give valuable info that I can use towards my recovery time. I'm not asking for medical advice.

Originally Posted by luc.who
Hello wags. I had TKR Dec 19,2011. I was 53 when I had TKR. After the TKR, I was riding my X 5 weeks later. It was tough swinging the leg over the seat, but asked my therapist to work with me on some additional PT to increase the ROM. In March of 2012 I was in Daytona riding 2 up and walking 5 miles per day.

The recovery time for a TKR really is very close to 12 months. I did therapy for 2 months. I started Dec 24th and completed late Feb. In late Feb I was back to spin classes. I used the spin bike to help with ROM and continue that today. In 2012, I have been to the dragon and have made many rides over 500 miles single and 2 up. I was really able to push my therapy when the doctor told me, you cannot hurt the knee. That told me it was all muscle tendons and my desire.

If you want to talk any more, PM me your phone number and I will be happy to give you a call. TKR is not easy, and the first 2 weeks you will be in a lot of pain. Therapy helped me get back fast.
Thanks luc.who for the great story and your recovery! Gives me something to look forward to. I'll be sure to have the PT give me instructions for ROM when swinging my leg over the seat. I forgot since last time I road (November) how difficult and painful it was getting on the bike. I could slither off though with a straight leg. lol. I'm 53 also. I'll keep your offer on the table about taking with ya in the future. Thanks.

Old 02-23-2013 | 04:07 PM
King T
3rd Gear

Ive had both my knees done at different times. The 1st time it was 8 weeks before I could ride. The 2nd knee took only 2 weeks. Im 48 years old. Trust me its different for everyone and the surgeon makes a difference. Good luck and do your rehab.

Old 02-23-2013 | 04:39 PM
troop8520
Cruiser

I never had a knee replacement but know of folks who did.... They still ride.
I have had a multi level neck fusion, and I still ride!
Its all up to you, I think if you rehab correctly and have the right mind set you will be wheeling that scoot the same as you are now.
Troop

Quick Reply: Touring riding after major surgery?