Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring riding after major surgery?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013 | 05:10 PM
BUIZILLA
Tourer

you didn't say what bike you ride...

with that said, I had TKR April 24, 2012, first 3 days were not fun at all, they drained the bag, removed the tubes and then I went to stay at a GREAT rehab center for a week, THIS IS A KEY THING HERE, DO IT, getting on and off the toilet was a major adventure... 2 weeks to the day drove myself to work.... 4 weeks later, on the FLHX for 20 minutes at a time... 10 weeks and 30 outpatient rehab visits later walked in the HD store and bought a new Ultra Ltd and rode it home.. rehab is a mindset, it's all up to YOU... I had a great doctor, great hospital, great staff, great rehab inpatient facility, and great outside therapists... as someone mentioned before, the spinning is a GREAT idea. Do it. 20 minutes a day, 7 days a week. My biggest problem was lifting and swinging my leg over the backrest and trunk rest so I kept my SG until this past week and rode either bike at least once a week depending how I felt that day. Probably have about 3,000 miles done now.. remember one simple thing from me, if the therapy doesn't hurt your not doing anything. Oh, and yeah, plan on a year at the minimum.. forget running or any high impact excercises. I'm probably gpoing to have to do the other one next year.

Old 02-23-2013 | 10:06 PM
WI Bob
Road Master

Hi Wags,
You have plenty of opinions here to be optimistic on the recovery time.

No TKR here just yet, but 7 leg operations taught me to be in the best shape possible before the surgery and work hard after.

Good luck and happy riding.

Bob

Old 02-23-2013 | 11:06 PM
Hrd Rider
Tourer

Originally Posted by wagsrk08
Getting old does suck I guess. lol. Next month I'll have a total knee replacement. Was too chicken for both, so opted for one then wait a year or until the pain starts bugging me again. Of course my main concern is riding my Touring bike again. Myself and a group of buddy's plan on going to Milwaukee in August for the big birthday party. By then it will be 5 months after surgery.

So how many guys here have had a total knee replacement and still ride? I'm early 50's and in great shape but bad knee's (military, running, etc). I'm not too hip on a 3 wheeler yet, but if I run into problems I guess I could turn my 08 Road King into one. Would like to hear your story's or how well you did. I appreciate any and all input. Thanks!

wagsrk08
I had a TKR in early February 2008 on my right knee, in August 2008 I rode West with my son, 5,850 miles and had no problems riding that distance. I was riding a Heritage at that time, the only minor difficulty was ,and still is,lifting that leg getting on my bike from the left side as I only have 120 degree bend in that knee, can't bend it as much as I use to. The most important thing to do after the replacement is physical therapy, it is going to be painful but you must stay with it for at least two months. I went back to an Electra Glide in 2012, have not missed a trip West since 2008. What had been the most help to me was that for my age I was in good physical condition and I still go to the gym at least three times a week. You are a young man and your recuperative period will be much less than mine was. I'm heading West again in August to ride Pikes Peak then up into Idaho and back to Sturgis and home. I wish you the very best of luck. BTW this may make you feel a bit more optimistic, I'm 81 yrs old and I don't plan on getting a Trike anytime in the near future.

Last edited by Hrd Rider; 02-24-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-25-2013 | 08:55 PM
Stinkboater
Advanced
Default Total Knee Replacement

I had both replaced about 6 years ago and don't regret. Never think about them any more. Had them done 2 months apart. 2 Months apart drags the recovery out to long. I tried to have them both done at the same time but my doctor wouldn't do it. After he said I would have been a good canidate to do both at the same time. If I had to do it again I would do them together. I was 63 when I had them done. Never have any riding issues with them. I do 3 to 4 miles on the tread mill regularly. Fast walk that is.

Old 02-25-2013 | 09:06 PM
Dirtball
Tourer

Lots of great advice and stories for sure. As many have said, results vary from person to person. I firmly beleive you can do anything if you set your mind to it. As has been said, it will take work but if you make it a goal, you have something to shot for. When I had my TKR in Sept 11, I talked to both my surgeon and PT staff about my goal of getting back on the bike. While it was not an HD, I went from a Yamaha Silverado to an EG in 12. Now I not only handle it like a smaller bike but do it while riding two-up. How did I do it? Lots of PT time and hard work to make sure I was as fit as I could be. When you do get back on the bike, start out on small rides and work your way up to doing rides you like. I freaked out my PT staff when I rode my bike to several of my last appointments. But that was a goal I set for myself and I acheived it. Good luck with both the surgery and getting back to riding soon.

Old 02-25-2013 | 10:05 PM
Chunker
Road Warrior

I had a partial knee replacement, not as radical as a total but in many ways similar. The PT is critical to recovery and I was riding after a couple months. It was winter and the weather sucked too. Recovering from back lumbar fusion now and unfortunately have to go back under the knife Thursday to remove an offending bone spur. I figure a month from now I'll be riding.