Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Road King Heat Management Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 07:46 PM
B Bop
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm hearing different stories on heat management coming on at wide ranges of temperatures. Is this normal operation?

B Bop

Old 07-30-2014, 01:21 AM
WARDSPARTSWERKS
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by B Bop
I'm hearing different stories on heat management coming on at wide ranges of temperatures. Is this normal operation?

B Bop
What's the source of your "stories"? Prior to 2014 EITMS was based on ET, now its based on ambient temp, and some tuner devices have the ability to manipulate the activation/deactivation temp so its not that peculiar that you hear of a wide range of temps, check the manual for your bike to find out what the factory setting is and the other associated parameters and phases of EITMs.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:19 AM
B Bop
Road Captain

My source are from this blog and many others when doing a search on this forum on heat related issues. I read hours of blogs including many giving huge complements to your product. (That I will be looking into shortly). after I figure out if there's a factory map that needs to be downloaded as I'm witnessing exhaust popping on roll off, pinging, and heat management system kicking in, when engine gets hot when riding low 90's, steady speeds, not over revving or lagging in gear, stopping at a light over 30 seconds and all the above reappears. I strongly believe Harley made these 2012's way too lean. Will look into a PV tuner after warranty expires in 60 days. Take note same thread above was having same issues at 1000 miles on engine, so I thought it was a break in problem, I see now that's not the case.

B Bop

Old 07-30-2014, 08:08 PM
RoadKingCop
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I noticed the same thing on my city bike. It's a 2013. As it turned out, the clutch needed to be adjusted. (I know, what does the clutch have to do w it?) Turns out it was always dragging just a little, even with it pulled all the way in. When it was cold, it would LURCH when I would start it. And because it was dragging, as soon as it entered "parade mode" it started pinging because it was dragging AND trying to operate on one cylinder as well. Get the clutch adjusted. By any chance, is it a little difficult finding neutral while it's running too?

Ben

Old 07-31-2014, 09:22 AM
B Bop
Road Captain

It does pull forward starting in gear w/clutch fully disengaged, and yes finding neutral can be a PITA. Hey, I'll try anything that may help decrease heat, sounds logical. Thanks!

B Bop