Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charging system blues

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 09:59 AM
BiggestDawg
Advanced HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Charging system blues

I last rode in Dec. I went out to give blood then stopped by the dealer. Went out to leave after I was done there and couldn't start the bike. Pushed it around to the service center and they threw the charger on it and the battery was drained. It's a brand new battery too. Waited for over an hour and finally needed to go so we hooked it back up and fired up the bike and I see that it is not charging. I shut off everything I don't need and barely get it home before running out of battery and plug in my brand new battery tender. Had to let it set the last couple of months as I had too many things going on to work on it. Finally get to it yesterday and run through all the tests and find that instead of having an output of 38 - 42 VAC before the regulator I only get 2.4 VAC I suspect the stator even though it is not showing a ground out because when I unplugged the connector it is full of oil and I also found a spot in the line where the insulation as been rubbed though and the wire is exposed. Not what I was hoping for at all! I really didn't want to have to tear apart the transfer case to do a stator change! I was hoping it would be an easy regulator change but Nnnnoooooooooooo!!!!

Old 02-18-2013, 10:34 AM
harley#1
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

rule of thumb...when changing, change all 3 pieces. you never know if something was shorted out and affected something else. maybe you can upgrade to a stronger set up.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:01 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

my rule of thumb- proper diagnosis and understanding of the charging system will allow the owner to replace parts as needed.

but part 1 is, you need a new battery.

once discharged ( like your was) it will only recharge to about 60% of it's previous capacity...so a 300CCA battery will only recharge to 180 CCA best case scenario.

and a duff battery can load down and damage the stator and regulator- so even a brand new charging system can be destroyed if the battery is unable to hold and carry and charge

the alternator does need replacing due to the damage seen.

the regulator, probably not.

the regulator does 2 simple things:

1.) convert AC volts to DC volts

2.) regulates the DC voltage output to under 14.8 volts.

so easy to test with a meter and see if it is a problem

if you measure AC volts on the output, then you have a bad diode - which can also allow power to drain back from the battery when the bike is off.

if you see higher than 15 volts, then the over volting will burn up the battery and damage it.

Mike