Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Fairing questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013 | 11:17 PM
Deuuuce
|
Elite HDF Member
Default Aftermarket Fairing questions

I'm curious about aftermarket fairings, even though they don't apply to me.

For the quick release/mount fairings with audio, how long does it take to connect/disconnect? Are there visible cables/wires?

What are the disadvantages of just ordering an HD EG/SG fairing? Cost? Or the handlebars get in the way?

With the "handling advantage" of a fixed RG fairing, why aren't frame-mounted aftermarket fairings offerred, or are they?

Last edited by Deuuuce; 02-20-2013 at 12:46 AM.
Old 02-20-2013 | 12:46 AM
Deuuuce
|
Elite HDF Member

Bump, no answers?

Old 02-20-2013 | 01:12 AM
drukanfu
Supporter

Put one of these on and look like a F'ugly....

Old 02-20-2013 | 06:35 AM
Mike_M
Road Master

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
I'm curious about aftermarket fairings, even though they don't apply to me.

For the quick release/mount fairings with audio, how long does it take to connect/disconnect? Are there visible cables/wires?

What are the disadvantages of just ordering an HD EG/SG fairing? Cost? Or the handlebars get in the way?

With the "handling advantage" of a fixed RG fairing, why aren't frame-mounted aftermarket fairings offerred, or are they?
Some aftermarket fairings are designed with quick release in mind, and don't require re-routing your gauges and controls.

Considering you asked about the quick release, the disadvantage of just ordering an EG/SG fairing is that they are not designed for quick release, the gauges (speedo, tach, etc...) are designed to fit into specific areas of the fairing and would require major re-routing of cables and wires to have everything work correctly, thereby negating any "quick" removal as well.

As for aftermarket frame mounted fairings, vetter (shown in an earlier post) used to make some, but again, if you're attaching things to the frame of the bike, it's generally not going to be a "quick" release.

More info on Vetter.

Old 02-20-2013 | 12:42 PM
drukanfu
Supporter

Harleys 2015 Model ?

Old 02-20-2013 | 01:05 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member

All of the aftermarket Batwing style fairings mount to the windshield mounts on the forks and most are quick release with a couple wire plugs to pull. The HD Factory fairings can be modified to be quick release but its easier to get a Dragonfly or Matasu, Woodys,Sportzilla, Tsukau, Reckless, etc and put it right on with out modifications and probably a lot cheaper.

To mount a RG Shark nose is a frame mount and can not be done quick release, but it can be done either with the HD Factory parts to convert or there are aftermarket companies that make the mounts but you still need the HD Fairing as I dont know of anyone that makes a replacement

Old 02-20-2013 | 04:07 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by XARAN
All of the aftermarket Batwing style fairings mount to the windshield mounts on the forks and most are quick release with a couple wire plugs to pull. The HD Factory fairings can be modified to be quick release but its easier to get a Dragonfly or Matasu, Woodys,Sportzilla, Tsukau, Reckless, etc and put it right on with out modifications and probably a lot cheaper.
Well if you are willing to do the work yourself, you can build a detachable fairing with OEM parts that will disconnect in just seconds. And it is a lot cheaper then aftermarket. That is assuming you can find stuff on the cheap like I did. But it takes a bit of work that not everybody wants to or can do it.

Old 02-20-2013 | 05:11 PM
ddm502001
Road Warrior

The mount for the DCC I had was a slip in on the stock W/S grommets and had a trip latch to keep it on bike with a key lock, had a three wire Deutz connecter that powered the radio and accessory port, was a snap to have it off or back on in just a few moments when I washed the bike or wanted to ride open.

I really did enjoy having it on the bike.

Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Fairing questions-dsc02257.jpg   Aftermarket Fairing questions-dsc02138.jpg