Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm not an audiophile but,

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 08:29 PM
ericl
Road Warrior
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Default I'm not an audiophile but,

Got to ask a realistic question, do you enjoy your stereo at highway speeds 60-80 mph? I see the post about changing to a 6.5" speaker and adding an amp and your getting crystal clear music at 70 mph. I bought my first system from FireCap, it was a kenwood KIV 700 with an ARC 125.2 and Hertz 6x9 speakers, that system sounded very good, this guy's got his s#*t together and against his advice, I added a set Of cycle sound lids with Polk 6x9's. went from the ARC to the RF300x4 amp. And changed the kenwood out to the Sony DSX-MS60. Only because I fried the Kenwood twice in my Dragonfly fairing. So in a nutshell I have about $2,000.00 in stereo equipment in my bike. I'm not saying it ain't loud. I have three acres behind the house and for a crawfish boil we can rock the block. In my garage you would swear your in a studio. I a fully aware of the acoustics in the open atmosphere that our systems create now accelerate this to 70 mph. Am I missing something? Is Hogtunes that much better than Hertz, Kenwood, Arc, etc? Or is it just that my bike is a Riad King and I never heard tunes on the bike any other way?

Old 02-17-2013, 08:40 PM
bent trix
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can hear mine as clear as a bell. I wear a full face helmet. The trick that I use is to wear ear plugs to reduce the wind noise, then crank it.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:41 PM
NewAge
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I understand what you're saying... I have hogtunes and yeah, my system kicks at highway speeds. I have just bought the lower fairing 7" woofers waiting for my bike to get back from an accident repair to install. It will really be kicking after that. That will add to the one amp, tweeter pod and hogtunes fairing speakers I already have in it.

From my understanding, I would by no means say that hogtunes is better than the others, but you do gotta understand they are for different purposes. Hogtunes builds speakers specifically for motorcycles so they take into account it's going to need to be heard over wind and exhaust noise, while others are just built for inside cars and such. If you go to hogtunes website they really do a great job of explaining things in mumbo jumbo terms that I can't even try to regurgitate here.

I hear a lot of people using normal car audio and sitting still they are great, but they complain of not enough at speeds. I literally use about 4 notches max at 75mph and its loud. Going half volume is ridiculously loud.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:58 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

A RK with speakers behind ya in the lids and no screen is alot different than a fairinged bike with the speakers in front of ya. While the sound quality at 80 isn't as good as in the garage I have no problem enjoying my tunes at 80mph.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:42 PM
BrownSanta
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

J&M Rokker XT's with a RF PBR300x2 and it rocks and 80-90mph

Old 02-18-2013, 04:36 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine does OK !

Old 02-18-2013, 05:01 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

I just got done (yesterday) doing the Sony marine unit, Biketronics amp, Titatn II front, Hog Tunes back.

I could hear the stock setup just barely enough at 80 mph, but I always felt I was pushing it.

I have not had it out yet, but it is *much* louder and clearer than stock, I'm sure it will be terrific.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:35 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

Hogtunes is DEFINITELY a step down for you, after what you have now. It's like going from a Lexus, back to a Buick. Just say that the stock stereo is a Buick. Hogtunes is just a "newer" Buick. What you have is a Lexus.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:33 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting title,
audiophile quality will never be achieved on a motorcycle, or in a car for that fact.
When sitting in my man cave, with tubes glowing, I can shut my eyes and "see" Buddy Guy in front of me, and tell exactly where his bass, piano, and drummer are positioned around him. Same holds true with Ray Charles, Norah Jones, or anyone I listen to.

Loud and clear is obtainable at highway speed, and you may even have someone pass you and will hear the bass as they go by, but I certainly wouldn't confuse this with setting down on the sofa, and being lulled into a nap by one of your favorite artists.

Doing 500 miles of open road is much more enjoyable with Tom Petty, SRV, Sublime or someone a little more upbeat jammin away, but they are 2 seperate passions, or hobbies, and I wouldn't expect the 2 to merge.

Last edited by VTL nut; 02-18-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:21 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My issue isn't volume, it's the crap buzzing in my fairing. I added dynamat and it got worse!

Quick Reply: I'm not an audiophile but,