Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine to frame Stabilizer newer glides

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013 | 05:59 PM
Kingobikes
|
Advanced
Default Engine to frame Stabilizer newer glides

Anyone have any ideas on the value of a frame to engine stabilizer on a 2011 or newer high horsepower road or street glide ?

Old 02-16-2013 | 06:25 PM
Ray Lloyd
Road Master
Thumbs up

The service manager at my dealer told me the reason the stabilizer was installed was to limit the side-to-side motion of the upper part of the engine in the frame, as part of the fix for the wobbling in high speed corners, along with the newer, stiffer frame.

Last edited by Ray Lloyd; 02-16-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-16-2013 | 06:48 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member

Are you talking about something like the TrueTrack stabilizer?

Old 02-17-2013 | 09:41 AM
Kingobikes
|
Advanced
Default Yes,,,

Appears there are several units like that on the market selling a solution.

Old 02-17-2013 | 10:07 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member

HDforums member GBrown has provided in the past a thorough documentary as to why today's HD needs additional lateral stabilization. The engine mounts/stabilizers HD provides from the factory are not completely adequate when it comes to stabilizing the lateral movements of the engine and attached assemblies. Apparently HD did have a good design for stabilization years ago, but that engineering is not implemented today.

Some have attributed the Harley "death wobble" to this lack of lateral engine stabilization. Some think it's caused by some other design factor of the motorcycle. Either way, the need for adequate stabilization does seem to exist.

At any rate, I purchased and installed the Tru Track stabilizer. I have a 2010, so I have the new frame design. Before the tru track install, I would feel occasional rear end wiggle, not much, but a little. I owned a 2000 Road King and a 2004 Ultra in the past and they wiggled much more than the 2010. But the 2010 still had a slight bit of wiggle so I thought I would try the TT. After installing the TT, that wiggle sensation has since disappeared. Another interesting improvement was that before the TT, when releasing the handlebars at speed with the CC on, the bike would want to drift slightly to the left. After the TT install, it tracks straight as an arrow.

The TT's wide dog bone-shaped aluminum plate is 1/2" thick, so it will extend below the underside by that much where it's mounted. That may cause some motorcycle jacks to have clearance issues when sliding them under the bike. But it's not a big deal in my situation.

The TT folks are super nice to deal with. I am sure they would be happy to answer any questions. You might want to search for GBrowns posts from several months back on HD stabilization.

Old 02-17-2013 | 10:10 AM
NELS
Road Master

Put the tru track on my '08 Dyna and felt an immediate difference. Installed it on my '10 King and never felt any difference. Just saying!