Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battle of the Baggers

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 02:28 PM
Medicinman369
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battle of the Baggers

I need some help deciding between the Ultra Classic and the Road Glide Ultra. I have been told that the Ultra Classic has some SHUTTER during high speed turns and the Road Glide Ultra does not. The reason stated is that the Ultra Class has a faring that is attached to the front forks and the Road Glide's front end is not attached to the faring.

What do you think or know about this?

Old 02-16-2013, 02:34 PM
Deer Stalker
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Well certainly the older frame batwings were a little wobbly at speed on bends (say 70-80 plus) - once the new frame came in they are pretty good.

That said I'd like to try a RG however the only version we get in the UK is the CVO and I find that cost is a little high and they are a bit 'tarts handbag'

Old 02-16-2013, 02:36 PM
Tirpitz
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have heard the same thing, but do not know for sure. I have a 2008 Ultra Classic with 59,000 miles and have not noticed any handing problems. The only way to know for sure is to rent both and give them a good ride and see what you find out. I would be interested in what you find out about them.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:50 PM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

So far in my short span of Harley history I have owned two hardtails(Pre-60) a 2003 Road King Std and a 2012 RGU. In between and during there were a few associated Jap bikes with fixed fairings but were way too light or too little available storage in their day for any distance uses. Just based on what I have had to deal with I won't be looking beyond the RGU for awhile.

The 03 RK was a great bike, as a W/S only bike it was fun to ride and a great short range(2-300 miles) with some weather involved but wind did add to fatigue over a ride. I added a full batwing (Dead Center Cycles), a set of lowers and almost all of the associated baffles and deflectors, it came as close to a EGC as can be done without buying one. All said the bike rode out well for quite a few long rides up to 500 miles a day but as you have been informed, the batwing will catch some turbulence and cause some fork movements.

I was informed and failed to heed, NEVER, EVER get on a Roadie unless ready to buy it, I kept telling myself they are ugly, fugly bikes, why would I ever even consider riding one. Best tail for a dope, a buddie bought one, I was at his place(with the King) he and I had a good days ride and he suggests I try out his 2011 RGU, I say no way, he insists and I succumb only to find it is a dream to ride on city street. He then says "Take it out to the highway, you won't be any more impressed than by that" so as a dope even worse I did, when I realized I was doing 85 and slowed, then realized the subtle differences between the 11 and my 03, batwing to shark, I was set back in the seat, then I realized I was again doing over 80 and turned around.

Was a year later, was getting a service for a 2700 mile ride, did not have any intention to buy a bike, but weather AND the little woman kept me too long at the dealer and we rode a 2012 RGU home, never happier in all my riding days.

Last edited by ddm502001; 02-16-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:56 PM
BrownSanta
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you need to take both for a test drive and feeling em out for yourself! the right bike will pick you!

Old 02-16-2013, 03:31 PM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

This pretty much goes for all brands of bikes as far as over-all ride ability. From less desirable to most desirable for long distance.
Bike without windshield
Bike with windshield
Bike with handlebar mounted fairing
Bike with frame mounted fairing.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:10 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have had just about every flavor of HD touring bikes. Currently on my fourth on the new frame. '09 EG Classic, '10 Ultra Classic, '12 Street Glide and currently on a '13 RG Ultra. I will say this. The older batwing bikes did have some wobble in them. The newer ones not so much a wobble but they are more stiff feeling in the turns. The RG Ultra??? Awesome ride!!! I can typically take the same turns 15-20mp+ faster on the RG than I could on the batwings. Best handling bike I have owned. Try them both for yourself and choose the one that works for you. Some people love the RG and some people love the batwing. Others prefer no fairing at all. Only you can decide.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:44 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

I tried both back in 2010 and went with the Ultra Classic. I just couldn't get use to how far away the shield was. I probably would have to have had a tall shield to counter the wind. With the batwing a 6 inch shield is perfect and I like everything being close to me. I might of felt different towards the road glide if the dealer would have installed a taller shield before I test rode it. With the short shield the wind started beating me when I hit the highway. Their both nice bikes so you really can't go wrong regardless of which one you choose.

Attached Thumbnails Battle of the Baggers-p1030096.jpg  
Old 02-16-2013, 07:04 PM
Drat
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Do yourself a huge favor and rent them. Ride them each for a day or weekend or whatever it takes to try out the roads and conditions you like to ride. After you have ridden both, ask yourself which one fits your riding style and needs. I keep telling people that the seat of their butt is the best indicator of which model one should ride. Good luck and let us know what you chose. We are a curious lot.