Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back from the Dyno tune

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 02:23 AM
South Jersey Scooter Trash
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back from the Dyno tune

Well back from the tuner and the numbers aren't what I thought they would be (87.41 HP/98.88 Torq.)it starts to pull right around 2600 rpm and pulls steady to about 5600 it starts to flatten a little there and then goes to rev. limiter 6300 rpm but the Dyno Tech. seems to think for a stock bike other then the cams the numbers were excellent.He said that of all the newer bikes that they have done with basically the same motor work done mine had the best numbers so far.I guess the only way I'm going to break into triple digits or come close will be with new heads or have mine done.I have a guy fairly close that is really good at bench flowing heads.But that will be next winter.I installed a heavier clutch spring tonight, I could feel it start to slip a little when I really whacked it,but the heavier spring solved that issue. I'm very happy with the way the bike runs and pulls,without a doubt it's a big improvement and very noticeable.At 65 mph in 6th its running at 2250 rpm.Sounds good too nice little lope at idle and I'm pretty sure it got louder.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:17 AM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

numbers look right, are you disappointed?

Old 02-16-2013, 03:31 AM
South Jersey Scooter Trash
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First thing I did wrong was to listen to every Tom, Dick and Harry about what cams are best for me.I finally picked what I thought was best for my needs.But after looking at some other tunes with similar set ups their numbers looked much better.I just can't see an almost same setup making 103 HP/109 Torq.without some kind of head work (my opinion)To answer your question NO. I'm quite happy with the 48H cams and the tune.It really pulls and steady right out to the rev. limiter

Old 02-16-2013, 03:39 AM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by South Jersey Scooter Trash
First thing I did wrong was to listen to every Tom, Dick and Harry about what cams are best for me.I finally picked what I thought was best for my needs.But after looking at some other tunes with similar set ups their numbers looked much better.I just can't see an almost same setup making 103 HP/109 Torq.without some kind of head work (my opinion)To answer your question NO. I'm quite happy with the 48H cams and the tune.It really pulls and steady right out to the rev. limiter
good stuff, ride it like you stole it. wayyyyyy too many opinions on here regarding cams, motors, etc. problem is, most have no experience and a few with a handful on their OWN bike(s).

if the numbers bother you, send your heads to bean at Big Boyz. for like $300 you'll have a stronger running motor and will probably get a bit more out of it. i've never understood paying 800-1200 bucks for headwork if they dont replace valves, guides, and install higher rated springs while making sure the heads compliment the cam and CR. i have $400 in my heads (inc. comp releases) and make the same/more power than heads that were 2-3x what i paid.

anyway, have fun with your ride

Old 02-16-2013, 04:25 AM
Neal Smith
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't start chasing numbers I did and it drove me nuts and it emptied my wallet. I see a lot of people posting big numbers on the 107 but I bought all the good stuff and after a lot of cash I am at 110 hp/112tq. A lot of people say there is something wrong with that but It was all my bike would make. But it feels great and I am not chasing another 5 hp/10tq. Ride it and enjoy it.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:48 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

if it feels good ride it and be happy , many number posters exaggerate as do many who sell kits and only post their dyno testing results

Old 02-16-2013, 05:59 AM
Eshaw301
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well back from the tuner and the numbers aren't what I thought they would be (87.41 HP/98.88 Torq.)
You got the wrong cams for the 103 thats why...The 48H is suited to the 96 and the 54H is suited to the 103. You dont need to get head work done because it wont help much at all. You left about 5 hp/10tq on the table just with that cam. Instead of spending a few hundred on head work, I would take those cams out, sell em, and then get the 54H. Your bike with those cams is making what most 103 motors make with a stage I. Thats where your missing nuumbers are. Oh yeah, if anyone tells you that 5 hp/10 tq wont make a difference in the seat dyno, that would probably be correct if the bike were making excess of 150+ hp/tq. But for these motors, we are talking about a 10% increase which is HUGE. Think you like the 48s? You'll be way happier with the 54s...I promise

Old 02-16-2013, 07:18 AM
fidel
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

48 in 96 54 or 57 in 103

Old 02-16-2013, 07:19 AM
MikeTD3
Road Master

Received 228 Likes on 127 Posts

I say if the bike starts and runs good, pulls hard, then forget the numbers and enjoy the bike. Last I knew you couldn't ride a dyno!

Old 02-16-2013, 07:48 AM
bpav16
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 64 Posts

Well back from the tuner and the numbers aren't what I thought they would be (87.41 HP/98.88 Torq.)it starts to pull right around 2600 rpm and pulls steady to about 5600 it starts to flatten a little there and then goes to rev. limiter 6300 rpm but the Dyno Tech. seems to think for a stock bike other then the cams the numbers were excellent.He said that of all the newer bikes that they have done with basically the same motor work done mine had the best numbers so far.I guess the only way I'm going to break into triple digits or come close will be with new heads or have mine done.I have a guy fairly close that is really good at bench flowing heads.But that will be next winter.I installed a heavier clutch spring tonight, I could feel it start to slip a little when I really whacked it,but the heavier spring solved that issue. I'm very happy with the way the bike runs and pulls,without a doubt it's a big improvement and very noticeable.At 65 mph in 6th its running at 2250 rpm.Sounds good too nice little lope at idle and I'm pretty sure it got louder.
who did your dyno? I'm also in south jersey

Quick Reply: Back from the Dyno tune