Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12 glide intake kit HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 11:37 AM
hpuserne
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12 glide intake kit HELP!

i have a 2012 street glide im putting the arlen ness big sucker stg 1 kit now im hearing that i need a pwr commander 5 and should ditch the cat converter price about 700 with me already having the an intake kit some telling me the bike would run too lean and produce a heat issue and some tellin me it wont i have vance and hines slip on mufflers too i jus want the bike to run better and still get good gas mileage dont need a raped ape for speed! WTH should i do? thanks

Old 02-14-2013, 12:57 PM
HRLYGUY2
Cruiser

On my 11 I cut the cat out.And was running stout 4" slip ons.
But did not change the ac.Runs great.Will get a ac soon but will already have a VH fuel pack.
So you can do the slip ons and AC .But don't do the cat removal
So it one or the other I been told .

Old 02-14-2013, 01:07 PM
ny2az
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually...you can do an exhaust upgrade without an stage 1 A/C and be fine...as soon as you add the Stage 1 A/C....its recommended you get any sort of fuel management since the bike would run lean....fuel pak, PCV, or others...

Old 02-14-2013, 01:22 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

You are going to get a lot of answers unfortunately. Not all of them are correct.

Reality is that this stuff all plays together. AC sucks in more air, the fuel management system (PC-V, SE Flash, Fuel Pk, etc.) increases fuel for the increased air. Upgraded exhaust allows the additional air/fuel exhaust to flow out the back with less restriction. The cat is a recent wrinkle that heats things up and supposedly affects flow.

New exhaust sounds great (a goal of many) but by itself takes away important back pressure having an adverse effect without the increased exhaust the PC-V and AC creates.
Yes, your gas mileage will go down but your bike will run cooler, sound better, and have more power. If mileage is important to you, then leave the bike alone and do nothing. Thanks to the EPA your bike gets it's best mileage straight from the factory, but everything else suffers as a result.

I waited till I could do it all at once.

Oh, and Welcome to the forum!

Old 02-15-2013, 10:59 AM
hpuserne
Intermediate

i figured some gas loss i guess my main concern is the heat issue so being a novice i understand that you can run the stage 1 slip on mufflers and should get the power commander 5 to regulate fuel intake how much of a difference would swapping out the converter make and should i if im doing the other stuff thanks!

Old 02-15-2013, 11:16 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by HipShooter7
i figured some gas loss i guess my main concern is the heat issue so being a novice i understand that you can run the stage 1 slip on mufflers and should get the power commander 5 to regulate fuel intake how much of a difference would swapping out the converter make and should i if im doing the other stuff thanks!
Hopefully some guys will chime in who's bikes came with a cat. In '09 (my year) Harley redesigned the exhaust to what it is now. Which is really a good exhaust for performance and heat. My year had no cat (except Cali) but every year since has had a cat. Sooo, if you can find a set of used '09 Touring headers then they would look just like what you have but with no cat. Probably pick them up pretty cheap I'd guess. There are shops that will use a torch to cut that cat out. I saw a thread on here that actually shows step-by-step how to remove it yourself if you are so inclined. Or the more expensive route of buying a new header.

Hearing people talk, getting rid of the cat is a pretty big deal. Especially for heat.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:40 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by HipShooter7
i have a 2012 street glide im putting the arlen ness big sucker stg 1 kit now im hearing that i need a pwr commander 5 and should ditch the cat converter price about 700 with me already having the an intake kit some telling me the bike would run too lean and produce a heat issue and some tellin me it wont i have vance and hines slip on mufflers too i jus want the bike to run better and still get good gas mileage dont need a raped ape for speed! WTH should i do? thanks
well first you should post this in the DIY help section, not in the For Sale section.

The whole purpose of the PCV is to correct fuel. The best advice I can give you is call Jamie @ FuelMoto www.fuelmotousa.com and talk to him. They will shoot you straight and will not try to sell you something you don't need.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:45 AM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was waiting to see how long it was going to take for someone to mention he posted this in the wrong section. You posted your topic in the classifieds section. So unless your selling somthing you may get more responses if you post it in the appropriate section. Welcome aboard.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:48 AM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus
Veteran: Army
Received 876 Likes on 584 Posts

Originally Posted by pontiac69
I was waiting to see how long it was going to take for someone to mention he posted this in the wrong section. You posted your topic in the classifieds section. So unless your selling somthing you may get more responses if you post it in the appropriate section. Welcome aboard.
3 minutes....LOL

Old 02-15-2013, 12:00 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

hey I was slacking.. sorry.....