Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking for head pipe options.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 10:33 AM
KSGLIDEGUY
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default looking for head pipe options.

I recently installed woods 222 cams in my 08 SG but was a little disappointed in the off idle performance. I contacted Fuel Moto to see what they thought about replacing my V&H Dresser Duals with something else and they recommended going back to the stock head pipes. I want to get the best low end possible but would like to know of some other options out there. I know 2-1 would be the best but not sure if I am ready to go that route.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:42 AM
Roger That
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I LOVE the look and sound of the Dresser Duals, but not impressed with the performance aspect. I ride a little aggressive.
Been looking at S&S Power Tune Duals. They look almost identical to the V&H Dresser Duals but have a hidden crossover behind the heat shields. They are a 2-1-2. Check them out if you don't want to give up that LOOK. Maybe Jamie at Fuel Moto has some experience with these headers and can give you some feedback.

Last edited by Roger That; 02-13-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:42 AM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

I went with the V&H Power Duals on my '12 Road King. The dyno tuner said he's seen good results with them. I did a Stage 1 with the Power Duals, Ness Big Sucker air cleaner, H-D SEPST and RCX-Haust slip ons (made by RC Components). The result was 81 H.P. and 100 ft.lb. torque. I was well pleased with that. The sound is wicked at idle and when you get on the throttle, but at cruisin' speed they quiet right down.

My $0.02. Good luck with your search.

Last edited by one-up; 02-13-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:47 AM
Stew Pidaso
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I chose the Fullsac X-Pipes. They have a crossover like the V&H Power duals, are ceramic coated, but use stock heat shields.

I haven't installed them yet, but what I hope to gain is a more free breathing system that runs cooler, scavenges well provides more lowend torque and retains the clean stock looks.

I have Rinehart 4"slipons on an '09 SG.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:54 AM
Miked053
Supporter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fuel moto has its own header with a cross over that uses stock heat shields that apparently give some great numbers.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:17 PM
Frankenbagger
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have experience with any yet but S&S, Vance&Hines, FullSac, Fuel Moto all make 2-1-2 headers to give you a compromise of dual looks and 2-1 performance. Ive seen some impressive numbers with the Fuel Moto Jackpot 2-1-2.

I agree with Fuel Moto on going stock, which will set you back a whopping $130 for a cat-less if you don't want to gut your old one. Going back to even a stock 2-1-2 will bring back enough low end to feel it in the seat of the pants.

With just a stage one your not going to see a HUGE gain from stock 2-1-2 to a performance 2-1-2 (at least not $500+ worth IMO). For example a Fuel Moto headpipe gives about 1hp and 4tq over a stock (cat-less) 2-1-2 on a 96" with a stage 1.

Once I get the motor built up with bigger displacement, headwork, cams, etc and i'm really trying to squeeze more power out of it a performance 2-1-2 or 2-1 will make more sense to me. But if a few hp is worth 5 or 6 bills to you, then there are plenty of options

Last edited by Frankenbagger; 02-13-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:44 PM
KSGLIDEGUY
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Fuel Moto does not make a 2-1-2 for the 08 bikes. My stock headpipes are catless so it would cost me nothing to switch. I need to see some dyno charts comparing stock headpipes to 2-1-2's from other makers. I talked with S&S and they say they have a chart on their site but I will have to look for it when I get home.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:45 PM
The Q
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Since the OP is on an '08 Street Glide he, like I is very limited in choices of 2-1-2 pipes unlike the '09 and up crowd. I have nothing to base my choice on other than S&S's claims, but my next mod will be the S&S Power Tune. As for a 2 into 1 system, that would probably be the best for performance, but I really don't like the look of a bagger with a single pipe and don't care to run a ghost pipe. I like the sound and looks of my Bub 7 True Duals, but feel I'm lacking performance in the lower end of the RPM range.

Last edited by The Q; 02-13-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:58 PM
Frankenbagger
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Totally read over the year of your bike, guess thats kind of important too, huh? Well im not aware of any other 2-1-2 for 08-earlier bikes besides S&S, so maybe they're worth a look. This dyno chart was on their website, but its on an S&S 106" motor.. Id be interested to see what difference it makes on a milder bike like a stage 1, but i didnt find that on their site

If you don't want to go back to stock and the S&S doesn't do it for you maybe look into a 2-1 with a false pipe? You don't get the true dual sound, but you get the look and the awesome performance of a 2-1

Old 02-13-2013, 01:27 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Take a look at the Cobra Power Port head pipe! Great price, nice looking, easy installation and very good performance. I run mine with the 3.5 Fuel Moto Dyno tuned mufflers, a Fuel Moto / Screaming Eagle Stage 1 intake and a Pre mapped PCV from Fuel Moto. Very nice combo!

oops Sorry. I noticed you have an 08. Power port is for 09 - up.

Last edited by Rickr01; 02-13-2013 at 01:36 PM.

Quick Reply: looking for head pipe options.