Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Detach Backrest ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 12:06 PM
WB
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Quick Detach Backrest ?

I have installed a Quick Detach Tour Pack kit (53303-07) complete with the deutsch connectors. My question is what docking hardware do I need to install for a quick detach passenger backrest. It looks the tour pack docking would double for a quick detach luggage rack. It also looks like if I added docking hard ware for passenger backrest the tour pack docking hardware would interfear with the passenger docking hardware an mounting of the backrest. Thanks in advance. A closeup pic of this setup on a scoot would be great.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:16 PM
MJR
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are four docking points; two for the tour pak and two different ones for the passenger back rest(sissy bar). You can't have both on at the same time. It gives the bike two different looks. I can down load a couple of pics when I get home if someone has not already posted the two different views.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:21 PM
WB
Road Captain

Thanks MJR. I relize and would not to run both together. It seems the the tourpack docking is so close to the backrest docking that you couldn't lock the passenger backrest in place. I know I am missing the consept somehow. The pics will help big time. Thanks again

Old 02-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Trial dog
Tourer

The front of the backrest goes up by the shocks, not on the front of the backrest docking.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:48 PM
WB
Road Captain

I agree T Dog. But the back of the backrest locks in to docking hardware about 1/2" away from the front of the tour pack docking. Is there room to lock it in.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:23 PM
Trial dog
Tourer

Mine's on now. I will post a pic when I get home if no one else has. I haven't had a problem with it.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:37 PM
WB
Road Captain

Thanks.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:10 PM
WB
Road Captain

Is this where the rear dock goes?

Old 02-11-2013, 06:42 PM
RPS1981
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WB

Is this where the rear dock goes?
No.

The docking hardware in the picture you posted is for the detachable Tour-Pak and/or detachable luggage rack.

The detachable sissy bar upright/backrest requires the addition of a second set of docking hardware closer to the seat. Look at the photo below. It clearly shows the hardware you have (indicated by the number 2) and the hardware you need (indicated by the number 1).

Part number is 53803-06 is for the detachable backrest and it's on page 342 in the 2013 Parts & Accessories Catalog.

I have all three -- detachable Tour-Pak, detachable luggage rack, and detachable backrest. So I'm somewhat familiar with this setup having installed all four docking points (i.e., both sets of hardware) on my bike.

Bear in mind this is for pre-2009 bikes. 2009 and later use the upper shock absorber bolt as a docking point. It's a whole different docking system.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:43 PM
Trial dog
Tourer

Hmm, mine doesn't have the piece your pointing to. I can't figure out how to get a pic on. Mine goes on the front docking point, the one that is just to the rear of where you're pointing. I will try to post some pics.

Quick Reply: Quick Detach Backrest ?