Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black denim or black satin painted Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013 | 04:36 AM
doze1955
|
6th Gear
Default Black denim or black satin painted Ultra

Just wondering if others out there are considering (or already done it) a flat black paint job on an Ultra. I'm considering it but would sure like to see some pic's first. Appreciate any responses.
Doze

Old 02-11-2013 | 04:42 AM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member

if you decide to go this route, remember that there are flat and satin clear coats. dont do the HD way with no clear

if you go on choppedbaggers.com, there are a few posts regarding flat clear coats

Old 02-11-2013 | 05:31 AM
garand
Road Master

Just a thought: I loved my SG when I first bought it. The flat paint jobs were unique and in my mind it was pretty bad ***. After a few months the uniqueness began to wear off. I'd pull up next to other street glides with glossy paint, and they just looked so much better! You couldn't beat the easy of cleaning and not having to worry about swirl marks, etc.

I wouldn't go that route again.

Old 02-11-2013 | 06:57 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by stupid_rope
if you decide to go this route, remember that there are flat and satin clear coats. dont do the HD way with no clear
the hd denim paint jobs do have a clear coat.

Old 02-11-2013 | 07:21 AM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by skratch
the hd denim paint jobs do have a clear coat.
hmm.....

Old 02-11-2013 | 07:22 AM
Charley05
Advanced

Don't do the denim! I was gonna cause my buddies street bob is denim and be bad extra paint, I did a satin black and it looks soo much better!

Old 02-11-2013 | 09:58 AM
CPT America
Road Captain

Go denim!!! It's super easy to care for regardless of what you hear. You can either use the HD denim paint cleaner (spray) or good old fashioned original formula Windex. Been cleaning all my denim paint with original formula Windex until recently when I got the HD cleaner. Never any issues with the paint or swirl marks. Do what you want, and if that's denim go for it.

Old 02-11-2013 | 10:24 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member

I have done a lot of research myself and yes the HD denim has a matte clear coat.
Some other paints I am considering is the Hot Rod Flatz and the John Deere Blitz Black. Both very popular with the hot rod scene. Both are not supposed to fade or get chaulky like some of the other flat paint will. And both are a satin not a true flat. Satin is better in my opinion.

However, from what I hear if you want re-paint over the Blitz Black it is difficult. It is a very durable one step paint designed for tractors. It is also very inexpensive. Like $20 per quart. And from what I have read very easy to apply yourself, which is why it has my interest. My bike is older and I ride it hard so I want durability. Right now I am leaning towards the Blitz Black.

The Hot Rod Flatz is a more traditional auto paint. Both look really good for a denim look.

Check out this Blitz Black Camaro!

Below is not Blitz Black or Hot Rod Flatz, but a test run on my Road King to see if I liked the denim look on my bike. And yes I do. The paint is actually Plasti-Dip which will peel right off.

Old 02-16-2013 | 04:10 AM
doze1955
|
6th Gear

THanks to all for the responses. I think (eventually) it'll be the satin or SEM Hot Rod single stage. It's too nice too much of the time here in Florida to spend good ridin time washing and waxing so a look that's by design a little grungier will keep me from feelin' guilty about not doing so. Well, that and a couple of beers.....

Old 02-16-2013 | 04:48 AM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
From: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!

On an Utltra??? No way can you go denim, but that is my opinion. it has to shine!! but then again it might easier to clean if it is denim.

Quick Reply: Black denim or black satin painted Ultra