Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why i went down.finally an answer ,.... riding cops answer

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 06:54 PM
ffb
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why i went down.finally an answer ,.... riding cops answer

i justspent sometime with bike cops and explained my fall.
i have posted it here and asked for your thinking of why i slided during a panic stop,

well, the cops did not take more than 1 second to tell me that what i did wrong ,and saying that it was not wrong becasue i saved hitting the car, was that i twisted my body in the direction of the fall,trying ,subconsciously ,to avoid ramming the car in front of me.

this now makes sense to me.

i panicked when i saw the car shooting out in front of me and hitting the car in front.

i then got on the brakes ,

and, i guess i did in fact pulled the bike down to the right as i avoided going into that car.

more or less the way you bring a horse down by pulling back on the reins and throwing your body weight back,out and down on the direction that you want to fall.

so, yes i may have locked the brakes ,
and yes i may have applied too much rear brake ,but, i must have done this also, and i have to rely on the motorcycle cops years of accident investigation,experience ,and their own riding trainning course.

so, hope that this info. helps someone out there .

Old 02-09-2007, 07:07 PM
billk
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: why i went down.finally an answer ,.... riding cops answer

In '86 (riding then a BMW) and a friend of mine on his triumph, both broadsided a car that pulled out in front of us at the last second...I laid the bike down (don't know why, and had never done it before...but I did it) and we both hit the car. He flew over the rear side of the car landing on the pavement, and I slammed into the passenger door side. Ambulances, neck braces, etc. He reputured the part of his colon below the stomach and required immediate surgery, in addition to a broken colar bone, with a week's hospital stay. Me just sore from the waist down...thought I broke my pelvis, but did not. Went home that night but was in pain for several days.

Like I said, never having laid a bike down, it may just be a reactive instinct.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:17 PM
FoxRM250
Cruiser

ffb....I was going to tell you what "probably"happened after reading your post, but I didn't feel like listening to all the mouth pieces and opinions. I ride motors for a living and am an accident re-constructionist also. You paniced...probably got "target fixation" and more than likley didn't use enough front brake with the rear. And you're right about the going to the right.

One of the most important things to practice is "head and eyes". Wherever you are looking, thats where you will more than likely go. Also practice your braking skills. When we practice, we do on and off road braking. We run 45 mph in the grass and lock em up. Another good skills drill for balance and turning is go into a parking lot and use two parking spaces. Practice until you can do circles in the two spaces. Our 360 course ia an 18 foot circle with a gate you have to go in and out of plus the cones all the way around. When you go in...you literally have to look around your shoulder as you lean and turn and lookback at the gate to make it and get out!! Its a tough one at first, but once you learn "head and eyes"...its a breeze. You can also ppractice doing figure 8's using 4 parking spaces I_I_I Practice staying inside and always look at the center line. I I I

Old 02-09-2007, 07:19 PM
JeffSG
Road Warrior

Useful stuff. Thanks for taking the time to share it with us and glad you are ok.

God Bless and ride safe,

Old 02-09-2007, 07:25 PM
billk
Road Master

Thank you, MR WONDERFUL. When one has a nano-second to react...I will try turning 'circles'...probably save my life. Where you there?

Old 02-09-2007, 07:27 PM
FoxRM250
Cruiser

I wasn't bashing you. Hate you got the wrong idea.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:31 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

what do they know??????
I had the right answer,,, but did ya wanna listen to mEEE???? NOOOO!!!!
your loss...... after over 200 stitches,, I do believe I know what I'm talkin about!!

Old 02-09-2007, 07:35 PM
billk
Road Master

200 stiches doing what? Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:37 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

started with first bike back in 60's,,,
many races ,,,many tracks..many miles,, much beer

Old 02-09-2007, 07:37 PM
cwilks
Banned

I just got "Riding like a Pro IV" alot of great info and riding tips to help save your life in dangerous situations. I've been riding for 37 yrs. and I see alot of practice time in my future. Glad you came out OK billk, but ya need to lighten up a bit, I don't think Fox was hammering anybody...just sharing info and experience

Quick Reply: why i went down.finally an answer ,.... riding cops answer