Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why i went down.finally an answer ,.... riding cops answer

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 07:07 PM
ffb
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: why i went down.finally an answer ,.... riding cops answer

FOX RM250

thank you. will be practicing as you suggested .
THis harley is a handful as compared to my sports bikes .it requires a different riding technique.

anyhow this wednesday i am getting the rear crash bars ,before doing the practice sessions , the dealer does not want to call them crash guards or bars.
he prefers bag bars ,

Old 02-11-2007, 07:26 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for the majority of us that have only one quite expensive bike, I would not recommend riding at 45 mph or any speed for that matter and deliberately locking the brakes up into a forced panic stop, in parking lot, roadway, or grassy field. Could get rather expensive from laying it down.
Not to mention if you don't fall and land right then you could be seriously injured.
I would do one of two things
Get a used dirt bike or small (350cc or so) dirt/street bike you are not worried about laying down.
Find a safe place to practice on that and get a feel how it will react.
And wear GOOD PROTECTIVE CLOTHING!
Then you will get an idea of how your bike will respond. then go try it at reduced speeds on your bike someplace safe and where insurance liability is not an issue.
But by all means practice.
Or if you're lucky enough to live someplace where this type of training is commercially available and you can afford it, take a crash course (no pun intended)

Old 02-11-2007, 07:31 PM
fairplay
Road Master

fox, I am with you. I took the motor course and one thing I can say is that if you havent taken it you will never know. I will forever see and hear "lock and lean" and " head up fairplay, look at me look at me" in my sleep from the 18' gate

Old 02-11-2007, 11:57 PM
Bug
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you got some insight into the crash. Sure helps to know what you did so you can work on things to avoid in the future.

Old 02-12-2007, 05:36 PM
red95king
6th Gear

ORIGINAL: choochoo

Get a used dirt bike or small (350cc or so) dirt/street bike you are not worried about laying down.
Find a safe place to practice on that and get a feel how it will react.
I'm not 100% sure I agree on that one. I could lock the rear on my Honda 450 (this was an age ago) skidding in a straight line for dozens of feet and stop putting the left foot down - like Eddie Lawson. My dressers just wanna fish tailinstantly whenthe rear locks up. The handling characteristics are much different.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:05 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would love to practice all the tricky maneuversthe cops learn, during their motorcycle training. I just don't want to use my bike, during the training process. I would not be afraid of dumping the bike a few times, while practicing, as long as it wasn't my bike.
I found a place on the Internet, that's only about 1 1/2 hours away, thatteaches an advanced modified police motorcycle course, but you use your bike.
Does anyone know where you can get advanced training on large HDs?
Tom

Old 02-12-2007, 06:47 PM
floridian46
Tourer

riding a motorcycle is like getting a BJ from janet reno....dont ever look down!!

Old 02-12-2007, 11:27 PM
FoxRM250
Cruiser

Thanks Guys....I was just trying to give a few basic pointers and basic excercises to help learn the "head and eyes" training and braking. I'm lucky where I get to train on the courses at least 8+ hours or more a month plus get to ride5days a week and get paid for it. Then on the weekends, I'm either on myHarley or motocross bikes, soIride alot. Just be careful doing some of the drills on your pesonal bikes as its easy to drop them at slower speeds because of balance. A little tip if you want to go to that extreme is get some old fire hose and cut it and zip tie it around your crome crash bars. It will save them if you drop it when riding the courses or advanced schools you're talking about. Local firestation's usually have some laying around.

I think CWilks was talking about that video Ride Like a Pro. I personally have never seen it, but have heard alot of good about it. Fairplay also said he took the motor course and go alot out of it. Any practice is good as long as its correct!! I'm not saying that I'm any better rider than anyone else out there. I just try and survive everyday!

Oh, BillK....I hope that turning circles WILL save your life.There are alot of crashes that there is nothing you can do to avoid them. And nooo...I wasn't there, but i'll bet if my pager goes off and I'm called out to investigate one...I can pretty well figure out what happened. There's always one like you in every crowd.