Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultima 6 speed gear set

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 05:30 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultima 6 speed gear set

Last year before Biketoberfest I wanted to get a new 6 speed in the Ol' 99 RK. I had a Rivera/Primo gearset ordered but they kept pushing back the release date. It was 2 weeks before the event and I couldn't wait any longer.

So I bought a $599 Ultima 6 speed gear set off of e-bay. Pretty vague directions for installation. There were several different length trap door bolts and it made no mention of which ones go where. After trial and error I got them in right so that they didn't hit the gear that sits IN the trap door. First thing I noticed when unboxing everything is that the shift barrel support blocks looked like aluminum but felt lighter than styrofoam. Not good. I had to fab a new exhaust support bracket because the stock one didn't fit with the newer thick trap door and the oil fill housing had to be really modified to fit as well.

Going down the road after installation I saw that the speedo read about 30mph when I was probably doing closer to 55mph. I had to buy that $100 speedo recalibration unit. 1st and 5th gear sound normal. 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 6th sound like someone is jingling a chain next to you the whole time your riding. I'll probably end up removing this POS gearbox and end up paying the kings ransom Baker gets for their DD6 set up. Bottom line is "You get what you pay for" I just wish Bakers was less than $2,700 for theirs

Old 02-10-2013, 06:15 PM
fxstc1999
Cruiser

Sorry you're having problems with the Ultima 6 spd. I've been running one for about 8 years now behing an Ultima 113 and no problems except it's a little stubborn to downshift from 6th to 5th. Otherwise that it upshifts as good as my 6 spd in my Streetglide. I also had to buy the Dakota Digital speedo cal. unit. I guess I lucked up and got a pretty good one.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:39 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by fxstc1999
Sorry you're having problems with the Ultima 6 spd. I've been running one for about 8 years now behing an Ultima 113 and no problems except it's a little stubborn to downshift from 6th to 5th. Otherwise that it upshifts as good as my 6 spd in my Streetglide. I also had to buy the Dakota Digital speedo cal. unit. I guess I lucked up and got a pretty good one.
I built a Softail for a friend in 05, We got the Ultima 113 and 6 speed trans as a package along with the open primary. That trans was good, he's still beating the crap out of that bike daily and it's holding up good. I've also used an Ultima 96" motor in another build I did for myself and thought it had pretty good quality. The quality of this gear set however was dissapointing.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:45 PM
Bob D Solar1
Novice
Default Baker DD6

You can not go wrong with the quality and how well built the DD6 unit is. I installed one on my 05 Road King Custom. No regrets at all. Expensive but worth it. You get what you pay for I have never ridden with a smoother shifting transmission and with the build on my bike it did the bike justice and eliminated a lot of vibration and it pulls very strong.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:16 PM
customsoftail200
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put the Ultima gear set in mine a couple years ago. Use the Red Line Heavy Gear oil, shifts like butter and quiets it. I think for the money you can't beat it especially with the OD. I have it behind a built up 95" and I beat the snot out of it. It's held up with no problems.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:04 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by customsoftail200
I put the Ultima gear set in mine a couple years ago. Use the Red Line Heavy Gear oil, shifts like butter and quiets it. I think for the money you can't beat it especially with the OD. I have it behind a built up 95" and I beat the snot out of it. It's held up with no problems.
Thanks, I'll try the heavier oil. Maybe it will shut it up a little. Hopefully it will hold up until I can get that DD6 installed.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:13 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Bob D Solar1
You can not go wrong with the quality and how well built the DD6 unit is. I installed one on my 05 Road King Custom. No regrets at all. Expensive but worth it. You get what you pay for I have never ridden with a smoother shifting transmission and with the build on my bike it did the bike justice and eliminated a lot of vibration and it pulls very strong.
My bike has the 95" kit with Keith Black pistons. Mikuni HSR 42 and Andrews gear drive cames. No problem pulling the extra gear but oddly enough my milage dropped from 42mpg highway all the way down to 35mpg, Guess it's the extra wind resistance at 80mph. I use to cruise at about 70-72. I was always curious about 1st through 5th gears using the DD6, any change in gearing felt on them using a bigger compensating sprocket or do they feel like stock gearing?

Old 02-12-2013, 05:55 PM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

There is another option for the 6spd gear sets and that is the one from Mother HD.
But it sounds like you should will be buying the Dd6.
Has the Primo/Rivera option been released yet?
Me, I am riding the SE gear set and dont know any better.
Rob

Old 02-12-2013, 08:39 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by CndUltra95
There is another option for the 6spd gear sets and that is the one from Mother HD.
But it sounds like you should will be buying the Dd6.
Has the Primo/Rivera option been released yet?
Me, I am riding the SE gear set and dont know any better.
Rob
I like the DD6 because 6th is a 1:1 ratio (direct drive). It comes with a bigger front primary gear and a new chain. The Rivera is out now. They called me after I got back from Biketoberfest to tell me my gearset had come in.