Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW '07 ThunderMax with Integrated Autotune...now available!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 09:49 PM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: NEW '07 ThunderMax with Integrated Autotune...now available!

I think it'll replace alot of inexperienced dyno operator's of which there are many. Don't you need a map close to what you got even on a PC 3 before you dyno it, I'm not sure just asking? Got one for mine wish I had known about the gen 2 though, might have went the extra $120 guess I could send mine back under the 30 day thing and just buy it[sm=confused06.gif]Any chance of that Pete?

Old 02-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Dogwood
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a Pre-2007 then you'll have get new head pipes with O2 sensor "bungs".
Now you're at $1000.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:55 PM
BUIZILLA
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey Vrock SE, is that pic of your bike at Centerhill Lake??

Old 02-09-2007, 10:00 PM
Bob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dogwood

If you have a Pre-2007 then you'll have get new head pipes with O2 sensor "bungs".
Now you're at $1000.

Or get an exhaust shop to weld some in for you.
The going price seems to be around $40.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:01 PM
Abnmarine
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or have the bungs welded in. My new D&D Fat Cats already have the bungs on them.

ORIGINAL: Dogwood

Now you're at $1000.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:02 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Gordo, I'll pass and stick with a PCIII. Closed loop technology has a way to go yet...these systems are not for everyone. Still tough to replace a dyno! The model in your post is the old unit, not integrated.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:07 PM
Bob
Road Master

ORIGINAL: gordo24fan

BH you have a PC III right? What is your take on the subject? Is it worth getting this or do you think one would be better off getting the PCIII and a dyno tune? I have a thread asking the same question. I probably would have been more happy if I never heard of this item...lol.

Oh yeah, I just noticed this on http://www.zippersperformance.com/ca...=588&prod=2181
309-330R ThunderMax with AutoTune (to be run in closed loop) $ 729.00

What year is this for?
The 309-330R is a factory refurbished Gen-I system with the AutoTune module for $729.
A "brand new" Gen-1 system is $829.
A $100 savings if you don't mind a using a unit that may have a cosmetic flaw.
It's my understanding that it also carries the same 3 yr warrantee as a "new" unit.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:16 PM
Bob
Road Master

ORIGINAL: gilbos440rt

I think it'll replace a lot of inexperienced dyno operator's of which there are many. Don't you need a map close to what you got even on a PC 3 before you dyno it, I'm not sure just asking? Got one for mine wish I had known about the gen 2 though, might have went the extra $120 guess I could send mine back under the 30 day thing and just buy it [sm=confused06.gif] Any chance of that Pete?
The Gen-1 unit with AutoTune is functionally IDENTICAL to the Gen-2 unit ... with ONE exception.
The only difference between the Gen-1 and Gen-2 units is the addition of a relay to operate the
electronic compression releases on the 2007 CVO 110" bikes, and of course, the physical design.

The two units use exactly the same "firmware" and base maps.

If you don't have, or plan to get a 2007 CVO 110" bike, then save your $120 bucks.

Old 02-09-2007, 11:05 PM
Bob
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Bruce00

I can only add what I know about tuning my truck. The unit has to have a base map, and can tune + or - from there. Within set parameters.
But its not like it can tune between a stock TC88 and a bored, cammed 95" motor, or a 103, or a 110.
Sorry folks, it will never replace an experienced dyno operator.
Re: Sorry folks, it will never replace an experienced dyno operator.
If the word "experienced" as used here was meant to mean "competent", I would agree.
Unfortunately, the "incompetent" ones charge the same as the "competent" ones, and outnumber them by a factor of at least 100 to 1.
I assume from the statement above that you have a competent dyno tuner where you live, and I consider you to be extremely fortunate.
Where I live, you could carpet bomb the state and not hit one.

Then there's that whole "tune, mod, re-tune, mod, re-tune" vicious circle, cash cow thing for the dealer or tuner.
Make a mod - pay $250, make another mod - pay another $250, on and on and on.

Re: But its not like it can tune between a stock TC88 and a bored, cammed 95" motor, or a 103, or a 110.
I completely agree that the "AutoTuning" function, by itself, would neither be the best nor the correct way to get from a bone stock TC 88"
to a Jim's 120". That's not it's function, nor what it was designed for. Changing the base map from the one designed for a bone stock TC 88"
to one that was constructed for the Jim's 120" would take care of the situation nicely, along with resetting the offsets learned from the TC 88".
It's not as if a bone stock TC 88" is going to somehow magically morph into a Jim's 120" while being ridden, and AutoTune would be required to adjust for that.
[sm=biker2.gif] ----> [sm=nxsmile.gif]

Re: I can only add what I know about tuning my truck. The unit has to have a base map, and can tune + or - from there. Within set parameters.
The ECM in my 2006 automobile also has exactly ONE base map supported and, I might add, that is strictly controlled by the manufacturer.
This results in severe limitations being imposed on what can be done to enhance the performance of this vehicle. Cold Air Induction? .. probably.
Cat-back exhaust? ... probably. Turbo-back exhaust? .. doubtful. Front mount inter-cooler? .. maybe. Larger Turbocharger? .. NO.
Do I have the ability to change engine timing or fuel mixture settings to take advantage of these performance modifications? ... ABSOLUTELY NOT!
Welcome to the strictly controlled by the EPA automotive world.

Unlike the automotive world, the Thundermax ECM has several hundred base maps to choose from, with new ones added regularly.
At my last count, Zippers had added 126 new base maps since I bought my TMax in late 2006.
There are base maps available, not only for 88's, 95's, 103's, 110's, and everything in between, but all the way up to some 120" and 124" builds.
The entire base map library is available, without additional charge, to all ThunderMax owners.
I doubt that a motor could be built that one of the base maps coupled with AutoTune couldn't handle, but I acknowledge the possibility.

The following attachment is the current base map listing for the Thundermax ECM as of 02/08/07.
I apologize for the crude manner in which the information has to be displayed, but I did not find a method of attaching a small PDF file to the post.

Old 02-10-2007, 08:39 AM
VROCK SE
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TMax Autotune for a 110" ?

I noticed that their site does not have a 110" listed yet. Must not have a base map for them yet either Huh?
And watch the example on their site, it tunes plus or minus 20%.
Is that the limit for the system, 20%???????

I thought the stock ECM would adjust 20-25%

Quick Reply: NEW '07 ThunderMax with Integrated Autotune...now available!