Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Few questions about wheel sizes

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007 | 01:34 AM
SiLlY
|
Road Warrior
Default Few questions about wheel sizes

Sup everyone.

Abnmarines post on wich wheel to choose has got me thinking. Here's my story. I'd like to get custom wheels put on my scoot. I'd like to go bigger than stock 16's. I know if I went with 18's I can keep the same ride height of the bike. Unfortunately I love the look of the 21. I say unfortunately because I am height challenged and I just got the bike lowered to where I can ride it comfortably. I had to drop the rear two inches and the front 1 inch. The rear is borderline close. The front.. I was advised to not go any lower than I am. So.. I can deal with an 18 on the rear as long as I keep the over all circumference. Now.. can I get a 21 on the front and lower it to where I sit now?

If I went with 18" front and rear, the other question I have is, can I get white walls for them? I know about that one tire called "Gangster wheel". It has a huge white wall and might come in 18".

For sake of confussion.. I'll lay the questions out.

1) Being height challenged, can I use 21" rim on the front and keep my current ride height by lowering the (allready lowered by 1") front again?
2) If I chose to do 18" front/rear, is it possible to still have white walls?

Sorry for the long post. I wanted to explain myself instead of just asking "yes and no" questions.

TIA,

Lee

Old 02-09-2007 | 02:00 AM
celtic king
Cruiser
Default RE: Few questions about wheel sizes

Well since we are not mentioning what the height challange is, we will work around it.
I am running 21" on the front lowered 1 inch, and 18" rear lowered 1 1/4, and when i am sitting both feet are flat on the ground,I am 5.10 1/2
21 will be the most you can go without needing to remove the front fender, you can go lower but after 1 1/2 in the front you will start feeling an effect (stiffness) inthe ride

As for white walls, that I cannot answer and would not want to attempt to guess

Celtic King
2004 Road King
Southern California

Old 02-09-2007 | 02:49 AM
GMONEY220
Road Warrior

How about taking an inch of foam out of your seat?
I'm 5'8 -1.5 on the rear 440's and 1.5 on the front anda low profile bucket seat.Flat footed.
Yes ride is a lil stiffer,but it doesn't bother me at all!

Old 02-09-2007 | 03:09 AM
SiLlY
|
Road Warrior

Thanx for the replies fellas! Last I checked... I think i was around these heights, lol. 5'8" - 9". I'll go check to make sure. Does anyone know how much of a height difference there is overall between stock circumference and 21" w/ low profile tire?

GMoney, you being shorter than celtic by 2 inches, brings me hope. I am short. Like I said, I had to lower the rear 2 inches and the front 1 inch. Plus I have a Corbin close solo seat. I finally got it to where I can flat foot. I'm afraid if the 21 brings the bike up too much, I wont be able to get it low enough to flat foot again.

I would hate to buy a 21 and later have to sell it because I cant get it low enough. I love my bagger! I'd hate to have to go to a softie cause of my height and the love of the 21 look. I just can't do that. lol...

Old 02-09-2007 | 11:35 AM
stafford
Road Warrior

It has more to do with the length of your legs than how tall you are. John Wayne was very tall and had short legs.

Old 02-09-2007 | 11:37 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior

I think that having the seat modified is a pretty good idea.

Just my opinion, but I think that if you really dig the look of the 21" - but buy an 18" - you're not going to be pleased.

You have a really good looking scooter, and you seem to know what you wanna do to it.

If you found a decent upholstry guy, he could most likely modify the seat to your liking....and it prolly would not entail removing an inch from the entire pad.
A good seat guy will remove some padding frome the side of the seat (make it a bit norrower) to give you a better angle to reach the ground. Most likely wouldn't even be noticeable once it's done - and would not change the way your seat feels when riding.

Anyway, I guess my point is (if I even have one)...go for the 21". There are things that can be done to make it work, and once you have all the work done you will be glad you did it....If you go with the 18", you'll just wish that you had 'done it rite'

My 0.02.

peace

Old 02-09-2007 | 08:31 PM
tsglide
Cruiser

The 21 fronttire is about 2.5" taller overall than the 16/18's. This will raise the front of the bike by 1.25" but of course won't change the seat height by half that if I had to bet. I agree with the other guys that you could probably make this up in you seat if you had to. The big consideration I see by checking out your bike is the front fender. I think most places make different fender lowering brackets based on whether you are using a 16/18 or a 21. I bet if you put a 21 on, you will have to change the lowering brackets on your front fender too. With all that said, I too prefer the 21 as that's whats on my Streetglide.

Old 02-09-2007 | 08:45 PM
vegashd
Banned

ORIGINAL: tsglide

The 21 fronttire is about 2.5" taller overall than the 16/18's. This will raise the front of the bike by 1.25" but of course won't change the seat height by half that if I had to bet. I agree with the other guys that you could probably make this up in you seat if you had to. The big consideration I see by checking out your bike is the front fender. I think most places make different fender lowering brackets based on whether you are using a 16/18 or a 21. I bet if you put a 21 on, you will have to change the lowering brackets on your front fender too. With all that said, I too prefer the 21 as that's whats on my Streetglide.

Actually in all honesty of that 2.5" half that wull not effect the overall height of the bike. Only 1.25" will it be raised. The seat will be raised probably less then HLAF that. SO at most 3/4" maybe 1/2"..

Old 02-09-2007 | 08:51 PM
tsglide
Cruiser

Right, thats exactly what I said.

Old 02-09-2007 | 09:53 PM
IceHeritage
Road Master

Put it like this it won't be enough to Notice it, When i changed my wheels the only thing that change was Visual but the height was the same. I agree that if you like the 21 and you decide to go with the 18 because your afraid that it won't fit, you will kick yourself later
my .02

Quick Reply: Few questions about wheel sizes