Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Few questions about wheel sizes

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007 | 10:03 PM
Abnmarine
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: Few questions about wheel sizes

I'm glad to of influenced you on new wheels. Boughty Hunter got me going by posted the link. Lets blame him.

Old 02-09-2007 | 10:51 PM
SiLlY
|
Road Warrior

lol.. thanks fellas! This is a great help. I have to agree on getting the 21 over the 18 because I'll regret it. I have proven that to myself, time and time again. I don't know why I haven't learned that lesson. I'm happy to hear the overall affect the wheel height will be at the seat. This reinforces my goal at getting the 21"/18" setup.

As for the seat mod... thank you! I believe that would work. One bad thing I never liked about my corbin seat is how wide it was. My legs always feel like they're being spread. If it where narrow, I'd get more reach for sure.

Thanks Jumpman for the compliment on my scoot!

Let me do some math.

2.5 Overall Tire circumference.
1.25 actual lift on front end by 21"
.50 I can lower the front some
.75 front overall height after lowered
.37 estimated seat height

2.5" / 2 = 1.25"
1.25" - .50" = .75"
.75" / 2 = .37"

So.. in theory, if I can get .37" from a seat modification I should be good to go, right? lol...

My wife wants to talk to Abnmarine and bounty hunter for some reason. Last time she spoke to my buds, it had to do something with being a "bad influence" and/or "improper motivation". lol....

Thanks Guys! This is really a big help! I have been pondering this dilemna for a while. Winter and proper motivation might just get her done!

Edit Reason: Typo

Old 02-09-2007 | 11:05 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member

this is the truth---I really wanted a 21 BUT I listened to an unknowing HD person (said i would have problems with the 21) that suggested I get 18s---got the 18s; wanted the 21 long story short bought the 21 sold the 18 on eBay --- now I'm happy---it did raise the front of the bikesome--I'm 5'9 - 5-10 long leggs not a problem for me---I'm thinking of raising the back of my SG to get it somewhat even. You cannot beat the look of a 21 on a bagger ---Priceless.

ORIGINAL: Jumpman

I think that having the seat modified is a pretty good idea.

Just my opinion, but I think that if you really dig the look of the 21" - but buy an 18" - you're not going to be pleased.

You have a really good looking scooter, and you seem to know what you wanna do to it.

If you found a decent upholstry guy, he could most likely modify the seat to your liking....and it prolly would not entail removing an inch from the entire pad.
A good seat guy will remove some padding frome the side of the seat (make it a bit norrower) to give you a better angle to reach the ground. Most likely wouldn't even be noticeable once it's done - and would not change the way your seat feels when riding.

Anyway, I guess my point is (if I even have one)...go for the 21". There are things that can be done to make it work, and once you have all the work done you will be glad you did it....If you go with the 18", you'll just wish that you had 'done it rite'

My 0.02.

peace

Old 02-09-2007 | 11:33 PM
bdjhog
Road Captain

I'm sort of in the same boat. I'm truely short at 5'5" (you guys at 5'8"-5'10" saying you are short are crazy, I'll trade you any day!!). I want to put an 18" wheel on the front of my Street Glide. I've already lowered the front by 1" and use a to remain unnamed air suspension on the rear to be able to get "sort of" flat footed. Basically I had to rule out the 21" front wheel as I couldn't afford the ride height increase. Going to an 18" wheel with a 140/70-18 tire shuld only change the overall wheel diameter by 1/2" over the stock set up which I figured would translate to a negligible change in seat height. My solution to this flat footed issues is to take my riding boots to a shoe repair shop and have them add 1/2" to the soles of my boots. They may end up looking like some KISS platforms before it's all said and done, buy damn it I'm going to be able to sit flat footed on this bike one way or another.

Just for reference here's how I determined the overall diameter of any wheel and tire combo:

Tire Diameter = Rim Diameter + (2 x Aspect Ratio x Section Width) / 25.4

Example (200/55R18 tire): Tire Diameter = 18 + (2 x 0.55 x 200) / 25.4 =

Old 02-11-2007 | 02:43 AM
SiLlY
|
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: bdjhog

I'm sort of in the same boat. I'm truely short at 5'5" (you guys at 5'8"-5'10" saying you are short are crazy, I'll trade you any day!!). I want to put an 18" wheel on the front of my Street Glide. I've already lowered the front by 1" and use a to remain unnamed air suspension on the rear to be able to get "sort of" flat footed. Basically I had to rule out the 21" front wheel as I couldn't afford the ride height increase. Going to an 18" wheel with a 140/70-18 tire shuld only change the overall wheel diameter by 1/2" over the stock set up which I figured would translate to a negligible change in seat height. My solution to this flat footed issues is to take my riding boots to a shoe repair shop and have them add 1/2" to the soles of my boots. They may end up looking like some KISS platforms before it's all said and done, buy damn it I'm going to be able to sit flat footed on this bike one way or another.

Just for reference here's how I determined the overall diameter of any wheel and tire combo:

Tire Diameter = Rim Diameter + (2 x Aspect Ratio x Section Width) / 25.4

[align=center]Example (200/55R18 tire): Tire Diameter = 18 + (2 x 0.55 x 200) / 25.4 =[/align]
I'm not as short but I do feel your pain. Sat at too many light on my toes. It fkn sucks! It took me several attempts to finaly getting where I am. I was really trying to minimize the drop due to clearance on the twisties. I finally got it to where I can flat foot it. Thank God! I still have a 1/2 inch of play up front and a seat I can shave so i'm going to do the 21". Thanks to these guys here, I now feel confident I can make it work.

Old 02-11-2007 | 12:54 PM
Abnmarine
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: SiLlY
My wife wants to talk to Abnmarine and bounty hunter for some reason. Last time she spoke to my buds, it had to do something with being a "bad influence" and/or "improper motivation". lol....
Well don't read my Baker DD6 install thread. As for your wife, I'm [sm=escape.gif]

Old 02-11-2007 | 01:03 PM
IceHeritage
Road Master

I can't wait to see Your Bike with the 21 x 18 on it SiLlY

Old 02-11-2007 | 02:20 PM
SiLlY
|
Road Warrior

Thanks guys (IceHeritage)! I'm actualy waiting on a response right now from our very own shooter. Thinking about 21 w/ 360 brake. I'm going to try and swing those and some other goodies but of course it is budget dependant. One thing is for sure, 21/18 combo will be on my scoot within the next month or so.

Abnmarine... I mentioned that to her too. lol... But I know I have to be patient. Right now I dont have an argument because the bike runs and gets from point A to point B. After I get the look I want, I will start messing with my stocker drivetrain. We ride the east coast every year. By our next trip, I plan to have the 6 speed and some extra ponies.