Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS aftermarket add on

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013 | 10:51 AM
Shim
|
Stage I
Default ABS aftermarket add on

Question: Since ABS was a factory option for my 2008 Ultra Classic, can I add it as an after market option?

Old 02-04-2013 | 11:19 AM
BrownSanta
Road Warrior

as far as I know; it has to be done at the factory during build out

Old 02-04-2013 | 11:30 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by BrownSanta
as far as I know; it has to be done at the factory during build out

correct.

not only the brake system, the ecm and the electrical harness too.

so a major major overhaul costing thousands

it may be worth considering trading into an ABS bike, the braking is really really good.

mike

Old 02-04-2013 | 11:38 AM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior

Here's something to think about too. If you go ABS you pretty much should stay with ABS on future bikes. You get used to grabbing a hand full of brake with ABS and that same grab on non-ABS will put you down. At least that's what I think.

Old 02-04-2013 | 11:41 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hogcowboy
Here's something to think about too. If you go ABS you pretty much should stay with ABS on future bikes. You get used to grabbing a hand full of brake with ABS and that same grab on non-ABS will put you down. At least that's what I think.
Yes, I guess if you're used to improper braking, even with ABS, you should stick with it. Makes sense to me!

Old 02-04-2013 | 11:47 AM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Yes, I guess if you're used to improper braking, even with ABS, you should stick with it. Makes sense to me!
It's not necessarily being used to improper braking, I think ABS helps you learn improper braking and if you go back to non-ABS and do the same thing you did on ABS, you're going down. My opinion anyway.

Old 02-04-2013 | 12:21 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member

I guess I need ABS on my motocross bike then.

Old 02-04-2013 | 03:22 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

It's not necessarily being used to improper braking, I think ABS helps you learn improper braking and if you go back to non-ABS and do the same thing you did on ABS, you're going down. My opinion anyway.
Well, I guess we're making the same point, but I look at it differently.

If the ABS activates I've made a mistake, but I'm glad I have that safety net.

So if ABS "helps you learn improper braking" then you have an idiot for an instructor (even if self taught)

Old 02-04-2013 | 03:30 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member

If your engaging ABS you're doing something wrong IMHO, I've practiced enagaing ABS but can't tell you the last time I've felt it engage. Washboard sufaces used to cause the ABS to engage but I've since learned how to better use the brakes and that's no longer an issue for me. I really like knowing I have ABS and I especially like it when riding in the rain even if I never need it. It as saved my butt once or twice both times the bike was fairly new to me and I was still learning the brakes.

Old 02-04-2013 | 03:34 PM
xcelr8
Road Master

Local indy (Candys Cycle in Davie Florida 954-629-6742) will install ABS on any bike for a couple hundred bucks. Call her (Gina) for info. Also check out her website, she is the real deal.

Quick Reply: ABS aftermarket add on