Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Coolers

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 06:29 AM
JJHOG
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mself I have the Jag Fan Assisted 10 row cooler. I don't have an oil temp gauge so I can't tell you what my range is.

As far as the previous comment regarding air cooled bikes not running with oil coolers I would have to say that the MOCO has decided that the 103" Touring Bikes since 2011 all come with oil coolers as standard equipment now.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:22 AM
xcelr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
And who told you that? Or where did you read that? Or how did you figure that out for yourself?

Regardless of how you answer any of those questions - they're all wrong!

Condensates will burn off at any temperature although quicker at higher temps.
I may not be right but I am never wrong. The last time I checked water boils at 212°. If you don't believe me go ahead and Google it

Old 02-11-2013, 08:41 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by xcelr8
I may not be right but I am never wrong. The last time I checked water boils at 212°. If you don't believe me go ahead and Google it
That is a scientific fact that water boils at 212F, but we aren't simply talking about boiling water. We are talking about moisture seperating from the oil, and the oil does not have to get up to 212F, the boiling point of water, for the moisture to seperate. Ever observe the steam rising up off the water long before it boils, or rising off the road after a summer rain?

Old 02-11-2013, 08:57 AM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Politics and Oil- two subjects you can never win an argument on.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:20 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by xcelr8
Oil must be at least 212 degrees to burn off condensates. Keeping the temp below that does more harm than good. I f your temp maxes out at 220-230 after a long hot ride, there is no need for a cooler on your 07. I have an 07 Electra Glide, and even during the hottest summer weather here in Florida, my highest temp was 230.
First, regarding the oil temp needed to "burn off condensates," I wish someone would start a sticky thread for reference on this topic, as we hear erroneous info echoed here far too often. It simply is not true that oil needs to be 212° for water to separate from the oil, and no oil engineer will tell you this. Water is a byproduct of combustion and will evaporate at room temperature, so at 180° (for example) it will evaporate out of the oil, just not as fast as it will at 212°. Whats more, the additives in the oil can absorb acid and water up to a point. The oil in my old Evo (1996 RK) never exceeded 160° in winter, and when lab tested after a 5k drain interval the TBN measurement was proclaimed adequate for another 3k miles. Another test in summer, where that bike never exceeded 180°, showed a TBN value sufficient for another 5k miles of riding. I rode that bike for 106k miles with no engine work performed, that is except a cam upgrade.

I will also respectfully disagree with your other notion that the OP's '07 doesn't need a cooler. Most riders experience higher oil temps that you do, especially when idling in traffic during summer months, some reporting up to 300°. If you ride on the highway at all times with no stop-and-go traffic, your suggestion may have some merit, but this is not a real-world scenario for most riders. My '07 will sometimes hits 225° with an HD cooler and Ward FCS (head) fans, and I consider that acceptable.

My opinion is that all TC engines need an oil cooler, and if you'll notice all factory 103's are equipped with them now. OTOH, if you don't plan on keeping your bike for the long haul, you might justify not adding one. I try to put at least 100k miles on my bikes, and keeping the oil healthy and engine temps as consistent as possible is a good recipe for that to occur without incident.

Last edited by iclick; 02-11-2013 at 09:29 AM.