Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer route to GPS??

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 01:02 PM
Neocane
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer route to GPS??

Did a search and came up with zilch in answer to my specific question. What GPS unit (other than $$Zumo$$) will allow you to transfer a route picked on your computer to the GPS unit? I was looking at Garmin nuvi, but might consider other brand if feasible. I just dont' have Zumo money right now. Thanks for the help!

Old 01-31-2013, 01:52 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

I use a Garmin Nuvi 550 with Garmin MapSource software to plan trips. I'm not sure if MapSource is still available? I think it's been replaced with Garmin Base Camp which I have but don't really like, not sure if this helps you. I like using the mapping software designed by the GPS manufacturer, rather than Google maps or others.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:59 PM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I did it with my old TomTom Rider 2. But, using MapQuest as an example, you map out your destination and then save it to your computer. Once you connect your GPS to your computer, you simply drap and drop the destination into your GPS.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:13 PM
KGlideVivid
Road Captain

Mapquest has a tab to share a created route with a Garmin device, don't think it has to be a Zumo. good luck.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:30 PM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by EricD10563
I use a Garmin Nuvi 550 with Garmin MapSource software to plan trips. I'm not sure if MapSource is still available? I think it's been replaced with Garmin Base Camp which I have but don't really like, not sure if this helps you. I like using the mapping software designed by the GPS manufacturer, rather than Google maps or others.
Erik, I love your blog--I hopeto travel and use my SG like you. Very inspiring.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:23 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

any GPS that supports importing of GPX maps will work just fine.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:31 PM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I find the HD ride planner much easier to use than any of the maping software that came with any of my GPS's
http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...de_Planner.jsp
I will detect some GPS units or you can save a GPX to import into your GPS

You can also just use Google maps and send destinations to some GPS units

Old 01-31-2013, 06:17 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by kryingame
Erik, I love your blog--I hopeto travel and use my SG like you. Very inspiring.
Thanks Buddy, hoping to add some new things soon.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:47 PM
caberto
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I have used the HD ride planner and Microsoft Streets & Trips successfully with my Nuvi Garmins.

I just export the route as a GPX... copy the gpx to the Garmin, then "Import a route" from within the Nuvi and select that gpx file.

Make sure you create waypoints/stops in your desired route's highways and streets before exporting it, because if not, the GPS routing will think for itself and find the quickest way to get to the destination if you don't include the stops or waypoints along the roads YOU want to take.

Last edited by caberto; 01-31-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:09 PM
Neocane
Cruiser

Originally Posted by caberto
I have used the HD ride planner and Microsoft Streets & Trips successfully with my Nuvi Garmins.

I just export the route as a GPX... copy the gpx to the Garmin, then "Import a route" from within the Nuvi and select that gpx file.

Make sure you create waypoints/stops in your desired route's highways and streets before exporting it, because if not, the GPS routing will think for itself and find the quickest way to get to the destination if you don't include the stops or waypoints along the roads YOU want to take.
Yeah, that's EXACTLY what I'm talking about. I want to plan a ride on the roads I want to take out in the sticks and avoid the highways. Pick points of interest and such and have my GPS show me the route I picked instead of it's interpretation. I just want to make sure that whatever unit I pick has that capability because my older (and cheap) Garmin won't import points or routes.

Quick Reply: Transfer route to GPS??