Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Seat Mod

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013 | 06:50 PM
kel03
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Road King Seat Mod

Here's my problem, it's that damn seat strap I have to undo to remove the seat. I know, take it off, but my wife likes it, and I'm keeping her happy during the rides.

Has anyone modified the connection, made a quick disconnect with the strap?

Out on a ride and you have to undo that bolt is a pain.

Thanks for any help with this one.

Last edited by kel03; 01-30-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-30-2013 | 07:29 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

I have. I had a buddy make me pin about the same diameter as the rivet that goes through the strap. I ground out the rivet from the back side and use pin (basically a bolt with no threads and a hole crossways though it on the end) and a small washer in place of the rivet. I put a small cotterpin through the hole in the pin to keep it from coming out.

It's as secure as it ever was with a rivet and I can just pull the cross cotterpin and remove the pin that's in place of the rivet. I leave the strap attached on the other side and remove the seat.

Because it does make it easier to get the seat off I use a Brukus seat security screw.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 02-02-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old 01-30-2013 | 07:31 PM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior

I'd like an answer to that also, that bolt is a hassle.

Old 01-30-2013 | 08:00 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member

On my sundowner and stock seat I took my staple gun and used several on each strap, I am no weak little sister and I found it very difficult to pull the strap free when I tested it. I used long stainless/rustproof staples

Old 01-30-2013 | 09:31 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member

hmmm my strap is held on by a screw just like the one that holds the seat on - it only takes a few seconds to un-screw that one before removing the seat. just have to open the left saddlebag to get to it. joe

Old 01-31-2013 | 04:56 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by Joe12RK
hmmm my strap is held on by a screw just like the one that holds the seat on - it only takes a few seconds to un-screw that one before removing the seat. just have to open the left saddlebag to get to it. joe
On a Road King Standard you're right, just unscrew the phillips and take one side of the strap out.

BUT

On a RK Classic BOTH ends of the strap are riveted to the mounting bracket on the hard bag mount. In order to take the seat off you have remove the strap bracket from the bag bracket and thread it thru the cuts in the seat before you can take the seat off.

Kinda a PITA

Old 01-31-2013 | 05:47 AM
TI06
Road Master

What year is your RKC? Mine is a 2012 and I just unscrew the phillips head screw that goes through the strap. Then just pull the strap out. My strap isn't riveted at all.

Old 01-31-2013 | 06:04 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Riders Club Member

Take it off & throw it over the fence. Wife don't like it--tell her to buy her own bike.

But seriously--the seat comes off right through the strap; just gotta learn how to do it...don't thread it through the slits.

Old 01-31-2013 | 07:45 AM
103megawatt
Cruiser

Originally Posted by kel03
Out on a ride and you have to undo that bolt is a pain.

Thanks for any help with this one.
Why do you have to get under the seat when your out on a ride? What do you find under there that requires instant accessibility on a ride? If you have battery or ecu issues, the few minutes (of hassel) it takes to remove the strap is the least of your problems. Just curious?

Old 01-31-2013 | 08:08 AM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior

Not to hijack the thread from the OP but on my 2008 Road King Classic the strap has chrome tabs attached to both ends that look a little like the end of a seat belt in a car. The tabs have round holes in them instead of square like you see on seat belts. The bolt that attaches the front saddlebag bracket is run through the tabs, attaching them to the bike. Whenever the seat is removed, the bolt needs to be removed and when re-installed the saddlebag bracket has to be re-aligned prior to tightening. That's why I've always tucked one end of the strap into a bag and said don't use it to the ladies.
I can't remove it because the slot in the seat looks like an 80 year old hooker's equipment because the removable backrest stretched it out..

Quick Reply: Road King Seat Mod