Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty question

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 01:12 AM
gordo24fan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty question

If a dealer installs a full exhaust system at your request will it still be covered on the warranty? I have a local dealer that is willing to install an aftermarket exhaust system (rinehart true duals) for me but I am curious (as I forgot to ask him) if it voids warranty issues? I will check with them tomorrowq if time permits, but I'm curious now if anyone knows.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:31 AM
Bigredone
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Warranty question

You better check with your dealer (service manager) on that. They are all different.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:39 AM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Warranty is only valid if you force the dealer to install a full exhaust system...at gunpoint![sm=shootshoot.gif]

Old 02-08-2007, 01:57 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

The MOCO is not going to warranty an aftermarket exhaust system; why would they warrant the products of a third party under their factory warranty? Also, if you install an aftermarket exhaust system, I would be sure to have the bike dynoed to assure its air fuel ratio is good. Shortly after the '07's came out, a guy put some Rinehart True Duals on (an older version without the bungs for the O2 sensors OEM on the '07s, added a Screamin Eagle a/c, but didn't have the bike tuned. The added air flow further leaned the stock lean condition to the point where he burned a hole in a piston. He brought the bike in and the MOCO denied the warranty claim. The point of doing the dyno is to be able to prove that whatever goes wrong later (and who knows what that may be) it is not because the a/f ratio was bad because of the aftermarket exhaust installation. I recently had discolored heat shields on my Rinehart TD's and BUB replaced them free of charge even though they were well outside their warranty period because Ihad a dyno sheet after the installation that showed the a/f ratio was good which satisfied BUB that the discoloration was not caused by an excessively lean condition that would have caused excessive heat.

Your dealer may say they will warrant anything they put on your bike. Be sure to get that promise in writing, but also know that it is good at that dealer only. A good friend had chrome switch housings installed shortly after delivery of her '06 RK Classic. She moved and her cruise control stopped working. Turned out the problem was a pinched wire from the installation by the selling dealer's service departmentof the chrome switch housings. The second dealer didn't cover it under warranty and she got a bill for a couple hundred $$$.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:41 PM
Gutman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check into the Magnuson-Moss Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)) that passed congress in 1975. It basically states thata manufacture cannot deny warranty coverage due to the installation of aftermarket components unless they can prove that such repairs were directly caused by the installation of said products. It does not require the maunfacture to cover aftermarket components.
However to protect yourself, the installation of Rinehart exhaust will change fuel requirements and thus far easliy be proved, so have a qualified H-D shop use a EFI Race Tuner and Tune your bike. This is still no guarantee as the Race Tuner is "Race Only."