Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10 inch long rider recurve vs. freedom shield

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 03:17 PM
Bdad23
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 inch long rider recurve vs. freedom shield

Need y'alls thoughts and opinions on these windshields for s 2013 ultra classic. Will appreciate your thoughts.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:46 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Not sure what you mean by rider recurve windshield but I know the Freedom shield is recurved. I have owned Cee Bailey, Memphis Shades, H-D, Long Ride and Freedom shields. Never a problem with any of them but the Freedom was a notch up in quality in my opinion. Beautiful shield ....

Old 01-28-2013, 04:54 PM
Smitty79
Road Master

I only have experience with the Long Ride Shield. 8" recurve was perfect for me and the price was hard to beat. I would recommend them to anyone.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:05 PM
RJI11LTD
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the Freedom 10" and it is a recurve. I have not used any of the other brands so can't say yea or nea, however the Freedom Shield is excellent. The quality is top notch and you can't go wrong with it. just my .02

Old 02-06-2013, 04:45 PM
GerryC
2nd Gear

I have never ridden behind a recurved type windshield on any of the Ultra Classics I have owned. Some of the recurved windshields on other folk's baggers that I have just looked through while sitting on the seat have quite a bit of distortion at the point of recurve. The Windsplitter shields sold by Harley dealers are an example. Some brands of recurved windshields don't seem to have much distortion at all. Unfortunately, I don't know what brand shields these were. Now before I get a lot of comments like "You should never look through a windshield, only over it," I will say that I have always ridden behind 10" windshields on my baggers that I can easily look over. But in spite of this, there are occasions when I need to be able to look down through the uppermost part of the windshield at points on the road closer to the front wheel of my bike. I would NOT want a windshield that had a lot of distortion to the point that I could not see clearly when looking down through it from my normal riding position. Now, after this long dissertation, my question is what level of distortion, if any, do the Long Ride Shields and the Freedom Shields have? Comments about levels of distortion on any other recurved shield, such as Fast Aire or Klockwerks, would also be welcome.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:07 PM
big ears
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Long Rides have a slight distortion in the curve area but it is near the top.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:02 PM
Bdad23
Advanced

Thanks. Received the 9 inch freedom shield and installed Monday. Tested Tuesday afternoon. Very satisfied with it., No distortion at all. The wind deflection appeared the same as the stock 12 inch. I would highly recommend the freedom shield. I am 5'10" and can see over it in any riding position.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:56 PM
Blue_Dragon
2nd Gear
Default Just what I wanted to hear!

I just ordered my 9" light gray tint Freedom Shields today, and am waiting for it to arrive. Bdad23's experience is exactly what I wanted to hear: "The wind deflection appeared the same as the stock 12 inch." I'm 5'10" too, and hope it works well for me too. Thanks for the .02

Old 02-06-2013, 09:58 PM
J_ULTRA
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have (had) the LRS 10" recurve on my Ultra Classic. It gave about the same wind protection as the stock 12" windshield up to about 55 to 60mph. After that I experienced more helmet buffeting than with the stock shield. I took it off. I'm about 5'10". Now that I have a "hammock Seat" I'm about an inch higher than with the stock seat. I don't see me putting it back on...Bummer.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:11 PM
GerryC
2nd Gear

Thanks to Bdad23 for his reply to my question. I have been using windshields (non-recurve) from Pat & Robin Clark (Clark's Custom Windshields) and really like them. I have an 11" half moon and a 10" flat top. I may have to try a recurve windshield just to compare to the Clark windshields. I am now riding a 2013 Tri Glide. Either one of the Clark windshields plus my adding Dennis Swan's (TglideStuff) fork wind deflectors and his middle baffle really eliminated wind problems behind the fairing and practically all helmet buffeting while using a 3/4 helmet with full face shield. From reading the numerous posts on the windshield subject, it looks like I am not the only one looking for the perfect windshield!!

Quick Reply: 10 inch long rider recurve vs. freedom shield