Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

THINGS GOIN DOWNHILL AT YORK

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007 | 02:13 PM
ckgdrums
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: THINGS GOIN DOWNHILL AT YORK

ORIGINAL: petemac

The problem to me is what they have on their picket signs, "NO CONCESSIONS".If they keep this up they'll be holding another sign..."LOOKING FOR WORK". Everything is about leverage and I don't see the workers having any. HDbusts this union and there will be 10,000 people standing on line the next day looking for these jobs. And HD knows it.
Except that those jobs will pay minumum wage and will have no benefits....

Old 02-08-2007 | 02:25 PM
dgator66
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Milwaukee, Wis. (February 8, 2007) - Following six non-production days related to a strike at its largest assembly plant, Harley-Davidson, Inc. (NYSE HOG) announced today that motorcycle shipments for the first quarter of the year will not meet previously established guidance. First quarter 2007 shipments of Harley-Davidson motorcycles had been expected to be between 82,000 and 84,000 units.
At this time, the Company is not providing motorcycle shipment guidance for the first quarter, nor is it prepared to predict whether the strike will have an effect on full year financial guidance.
Approximately 2,800 unionized employees who are members of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM) Local 175 are currently on strike at the Company’s facility in York, Pa. The Harley-Davidson employees in York primarily manufacture and assemble Touring and Softail® model motorcycles.
As a result of the strike, the Company has reduced production of engines and transmissions at its facility in Menomonee Falls, Wis. and injection-molded and other components in Tomahawk, Wis. Layoffs could begin as soon as the week of February 12th for some employees. The initial layoffs will be voluntary; involuntary layoffs will be implemented as necessary.

Another article said that 500 of 1500 employees were expected to be laid off in the Wisconsin plants.

Old 02-08-2007 | 03:05 PM
uniondog1
Intermediate

everybody needs to remember the wage benefit package in place was bargained between the parties - they will bargain a new agreement. Also all of the comments about the work ethic of Union worker - They have negotiated set retes to meet for the pay they receive. If they don't meet the rates they will be in trouble. If they don't come to work they will be in trouble. If they come to work drunk they will be in trouble IF MANAGEMENT IS DOING THIER JOB AND OVER SEEING THE BUSINESS AND OPERATION ON THE FLOOR. The rules and penalties are in place in all union shops. The Co need to enforce them. If it is proven you did something wrong you will be disciplined. Screw up enough you will get fired - Thats the way it is in a Union shop. If you got someone not doing anything - they should fire his/her boss and hire someone who will enforce the rules

The comments I read about Union work place are way out dated and far from the truth in most if not all union shops. The biggest complaint behind the union is not doing anything for us is the cooperative efforts between management and union to keep these shops open at the local level. When it gets to the corporate level thay would just as soon move it off shore than do some work to keep it in the US. When I say the union I'm talking about the members who vote on and support the action communicated through it's leadership. Just like the Strike at York - I believe 96 or 98% of the members vote to approve going on strike. This was not a decision made by a couple of people that don't work in the plant.

As far as Harley and the comments about moving off shore I read in other post since the strike started - Not going to happen compleatly - They have already outsourced off shore a lot of the parts but the # 1 attraction / slogan / sales hype is that their product is" an American Legend" if its made off shore there will be an increas in purchases of other jap bikes that many of US owned before we finally bought an "AMERICAN BIKE" or Victory could really take off.

Latest News
The Associated Press[/align] [/align]
February 7, 2007 Wednesday 2:53 PM GMT [/align]
BUSINESS NEWS [/align]
152 words[/align]

Harley, union make no progress Tuesday, schedule talks for Wednesday
YORK Pa.[/align]
Harley-Davidson Inc. and the union representing striking workers at its largest plant agreed on only one thing in a meeting with federal mediators, a union leader said. "The only thing we accomplished is we set up a meeting for (Wednesday)," said Tom Boger, a union representative with the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers Local 175.Tuesday's meeting was the first between the company and the union since about 2,800 unionized workers went on strike Friday and began picketing the Springettsbury Township plant. The union had rejected a proposed three-year contract that called for annual wage increases of 4 percent, but would have reduced pay rates for new hires, required employees to pay part of their health insurance premiums and forced pension concessions.Boger said he did not know what would be discussed Wednesday. Bob Klein, a spokesman for Harley-Davidson, declined to comment. [/align]
February 8, 2007[/align]

Old 02-08-2007 | 04:25 PM
banjopickin101
Road Warrior
Received 543 Likes on 219 Posts

ORIGINAL: uniondog1

When I say the union I'm talking about the members who vote on and support the action communicated through it's leadership. Just like the Strike at York - I believe 96 or 98% of the members vote to approve going on strike. This was not a decision made by a couple of people that don't work in the plant.
Help me understand Uniondog, if 96 or 98% voted to strike then I guess they know what they are doing, but an annual wage increase of4% would amount to 12% over 3 years(unless I am missing something) we are talking thousands of $$. Do you know how much the Employees were asked to contribute to their Insurance? Maybe I don't understand because I have always had to pay for my Insurance, but it sounds to me like the workers would still be coming out a head of where they were.

New hires come in our door on a 6 month probationary period (which means no insurance or benefits) and they often make less than employees that have been ther longer.

It is obvious that you are a Union Member and I don't mean any disrespect but, where I am from it sounds like a good deal to me. (Just thought that you can helpa non Union guy understand what it's all about).

Old 02-08-2007 | 04:50 PM
uniondog1
Intermediate

My point is None of us on the out side know what is going on. The men and women who work in this plant are well aware of the risk involved in the action that collectively decided to take in their effort to win a good agreement with their employer. None of us work there and None of us know what those workers have traded off in the past for the benefit and wage package that was contained in their current agreement. One thing we know for sure is it did not run Harley into the ground.

What it will do in the future is what is being discussed between the parties at this time - they will work it out. I am in total shock at the responces from many people on this issue. If a company can just walk in and strip a union work force of benefits without a fight everyone is in trouble. Whether the union bashers out there like to admitt it or not the only thing keeping many of the non-union operation from stripping their workers of all benefits is the knowledge that Union are still alive in this country and if they took such action even the most anti-union work force would seek help - that is the balance - you don't have to work union and pay those damm dues as some say, but everyone better hope some of us do because without us there is nobody to hold the corporations feet to the fire. If you don't believe me call the NLRB the first thing they will ask you if you are represented by a union and if you have a a contract - if not your not going to get to far

Respect

UD

UD

Old 02-08-2007 | 04:57 PM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote, "Screw up enough you will get fired - Thats the way it is in a Union shop. If you got someone not doing anything - they should fire his/her boss and hire someone who will enforce the rules"

Didyou accidentlyleave out that they should fire the guy not doing anythingalso?

Old 02-08-2007 | 05:11 PM
uniondog1
Intermediate

Geargrinder,

When they hire a management person that actually does their job in the area of supervising the floor and enforcing the rules- they will be able to prove the case against the F up and when they fire him/her it will be done right and they will stay fired - all problems solved

respect
UD

Old 02-08-2007 | 05:31 PM
wildwill
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well.........since they stopped making them, I have an 07 Screamin' Eagle Dyna I'll sell cheap............let's say 50K plus shipping.

[sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 02-08-2007 | 05:42 PM
uniondog1
Intermediate

wildwill,
I got an 07 ultra - we will have to wait for some folks to start buying them before we can sell em. lol
Mine runs pretty good I think but after reading some of the post you would think there is no such thing as a good running 07

respect
UD

Old 02-08-2007 | 05:45 PM
Fishpart
Tourer

Being in York it's been cold as ever this week, I normally only see about 4 or 8 employees on the picket line. Hire me I'll work without Health Insurance of course I'll beretired from the military and myself and family is covered, maybe not the best but we've never had any issues. A few of the workers have said this strike has been looming and the MOCO was having them pump out many more bikes then past years and not due to sales. Right now the dealers will use the strike to get top dollar for what's on the floor but many have plenty of bikes in the basement.