Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

THINGS GOIN DOWNHILL AT YORK

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007 | 12:20 PM
tourman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: THINGS GOIN DOWNHILL AT YORK

I would ratherbuy a bike built before the strike- You never know how the quality will be after a strike. Especially if the workers get the shaft.

ORIGINAL: Drum

Hello everyone,

As you can see, I'm new here. I just sold my 06' lowrider and have a street glide on order that is due in March 3rd............yeah right. The dealer does have 1 in the back room that I might just go buy on Saturday due to the strike........who know's when mine will really be shipped.

I'm trying to make a smart choice and not wanting to get caught not having a ride.............Am I jumping the gun or not?

Thanks

Old 02-08-2007 | 12:22 PM
RainMaker
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: g money

Just wait till all those disgruntles start building bikes again!
Gary D.
Lol, pfft.. whos to say they havent known about this issue for some time.... and thus.. the 07 problems... hey, now THERES are way to stick to your employer....

Old 02-08-2007 | 12:26 PM
tourman
Cruiser

Bottom line IMO-

If the company is making money, good forcast ahead etc, They should be splitting the pie equally with the workers. And from what I've read, Harley is making A LOT of profit. And now trying to get a bigger piece of the pie at the workers expense.

Trying to cut benefits in a profitable time makes no sense. Union or no union, workers shouldn't be treated that way.

And don't think Harley would lower bike prices, even if they were made in China.

Old 02-08-2007 | 12:26 PM
cdale976
Road Master

i work in non union shop+make more than union counterparts in my area mainly cause unions have lost their negotiating power largely due to a large cheap workforce I believe itwas called Reagonomics.
i live not far from plant and these folks will be back soon. It's damn cold and jobs aren't that easy to find that pay what HD is offering here in Pa. most all in this area union or not contribute to healthcare costs.
damn shame cause no one wins in this situation.

Old 02-08-2007 | 12:33 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: g money

Just wait till all those disgruntles start building bikes again!
Gary D.
That's what I was thinking! Glad I bought mine in November.

Old 02-08-2007 | 12:40 PM
LNEMUP1
Novice

I guess I have to call the dealership again. Once I heard about the strike I call and salesman told me not to worry would probably not last long. Well my 07 Street Glide is suppost to be here on the 23rd. I guess I need to call and find out some more detail.

Since people have been discussing price do you guys think 19,000 out the door is a bad price? I put a deposit down on the bike which they already cash. Do I have any leverage to neg if the bike doesnt come in on time? Thanks

Old 02-08-2007 | 01:16 PM
jackj
Banned

Yes & if you want to stay profitable in this world market thats the way it is bub, talk to the folks @ GM & Ford that soon will have NO jobs because their management they them everything they wanted over the past 10 years. .
ORIGINAL: 2005UltraNC

Just proves that the MoCo not only cares about its customer, heck, they don't even care about their employees. The bottom line if their only concern.

Old 02-08-2007 | 01:16 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It's not a privately owned business that someone can arbitrarily decide to do this. They are a publicly traded company that has shareholders that want the biggest return they can get. Guess what the companies biggest overhead is? Labor. It's not like the workers are getting screwed or getting a bad deal. The problem to me is what they have on their picket signs, "NO CONCESSIONS".If they keep this up they'll be holding another sign..."LOOKING FOR WORK". Everything is about leverage and I don't see the workers having any. HDbusts this union and there will be 10,000 people standing on line the next day looking for these jobs. And HD knows it.

ORIGINAL: tourman

Bottom line IMO-

If the company is making money, good forcast ahead etc, They should be splitting the pie equally with the workers. And from what I've read, Harley is making A LOT of profit. And now trying to get a bigger piece of the pie at the workers expense.

Trying to cut benefits in a profitable time makes no sense. Union or no union, workers shouldn't be treated that way.

And don't think Harley would lower bike prices, even if they were made in China.

Old 02-08-2007 | 01:20 PM
BIKEBUILDER
Stage I

That's right. Many comments about employees paying healthcare cost will do nothing for the price of bikes. Exec packages, stock holders divs, and dealers millions! As a stock holder I am applaud at the way the company is treating the people that got the stock price up there!

Old 02-08-2007 | 01:36 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I'm not involved in the strike don't even live there, so can't really talk about it.
But every business has to watch it's botom line or it won't be in business.
What I don't like is when a business takes advantage of it's employees and then uses blackmail/extortion / scare tactics to get them to give up wages benefits etc.
If any one employee is consistently not performing you weed that one out. this should
start at the top and work all the way down. Most times it doesn't though.
Sure the employee may not have that job or any job if the business wasn't there in the first place. But then again the business would not exist if it wasn't for the employees.
If the business (in this case HD) is experiencing hard times loss of revenue, increased costs, then they should be totally honest and up front.
If management wants and expects rank and file to take cuts. Then management should also take the same percentage of cuts in their wages and benefits.
But again that normally doesn't happen.
But that's my opinion, feeling and belief.
What's good for the goose is also good for the gander!!
Harley really needs to start listening to us the consumer about all the different problems we're having in the real world, and get them resolved or things will just get worse.
I talked with HDMOCO c/s today about my problems. After over two months they still have not talked with factorytechs about my problem. Lady says she needs to. I said why haven't you, it's been two months get off your *** and get with it. And let me talk with him first hand.
Then let's get the dealer involved again. Well I won't hold my breath.
will wait 30 days, then will turn it over to lawyer under our lemon law. then maybe (I said maybe) something will happen.