Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

THINGS GOIN DOWNHILL AT YORK

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007 | 01:03 AM
ndotken
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: THINGS GOIN DOWNHILL AT YORK

I guess the union leadership has to try and throw some weight around to justify the union dues the workers have to pay. They would look weak if they just acquiesed to managment's demands and then the workers would think "what the %$#* am I paying these freakin union dues for?" But I sure would hate to be one of the strikers right now whose financial future is in the hands of union negotiators.

MOCO has sufficient cash reserves and financial resources to ride this out for a very long time ... and they look like they are digging their foxhole pretty deep. On the other hand, many of the workers are only one or two paychecks away from real financial jeopardy. As a union worker, my choice is to either put my financial future in the hands of labor leadership that has very little leverage, or be a scab and endure the social stigma and abuse that would be dolled out by the community. Sort of like being between a rock and a hard place. I feel for them and their families that are being used as pawns in a high stakes game of chicken by union leadership.

Old 02-08-2007 | 01:11 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now that's the most truthfull statement yet and ONE NOBODY HERE could possibly argue with!!!
Hmmm....wanna bet?

I'm quite pleased with the quality of mah HD AND the service of mah dealer.

Old 02-08-2007 | 01:18 AM
Drum
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Hello everyone,

As you can see, I'm new here. I just sold my 06' lowrider and have a street glide on order that is due in March 3rd............yeah right. The dealer does have 1 in the back room that I might just go buy on Saturday due to the strike........who know's when mine will really be shipped.

I'm trying to make a smart choice and not wanting to get caught not having a ride.............Am I jumping the gun or not?

Thanks

Old 02-08-2007 | 02:12 AM
Canedog
Cruiser

I hope the botherhood gets what they want, to many companies stick it to the workers. I worked for Unilever for 17 years at a profitable plant, #1 in the US, no accidents, we won all kinds of awards for company "games" ..... then a new president come on the scene and started slashing jobs world wide to the tune and closed our plant, that just turn a 52 million dollar profit the yr before. Gave our production to a co packer with no benfits, 300 people out of a job a city lost a good plant. People on here are bashing the unions, but without out the early labor movement you and I would still be at the $5.00. Don't for a second think a company gives a rasie or benifits because they "LIKE YOU" someone fought for those benifits and that money.

Unions have greed but without them American workers would not as well paid as we are. I am in ahigh skilled technical field, non - union but without the union I would not be making themoney I make. I work hand and hand with union guys on a daily basis and respect thier skills.

Old 02-08-2007 | 02:17 AM
Canedog
Cruiser

Na go ahead and get it, make them sell it to you below MSRP tho. DONT NEVER PAY MSRP .... I got mine WELL belooooooooow MSRP. 07 Street Glide. to the tune of 2k

Old 02-08-2007 | 02:21 AM
Canedog
Cruiser

This suff of paying MSRP is bull, to many dealers to do that, they all want to make money and they do that by sell service and acc, don't be jumpy. Its your money and Harley are all over the place .... never, never, pay MSRP or close to it, HAGGLE and fuss. These bike are not GOLD.

Old 02-08-2007 | 09:08 AM
wrustywrench
Cruiser

I work for a large privately owned machine shop. They pay for health care and we get raises. Never would a unio be allowed in here,, thats fine by me.

I love my job

I have worked for a union before, I had to pay them dues and got very little in return. They do protect thelazy as I found out with a lot of the people I worked with.

I do feel the worked at MOCO are very spoiled, expect to have it handed to them. We are a very spoiled people in general ... I dont make 50 k a year and would gladly assemble harleys for that,, even if I had to pay a little for health insurance. I pay 10 bucks a week now,, and its worth every penny of it. Try to pay it ALL yourself, take most fo your paycheck (for me anyway).

Old 02-08-2007 | 09:43 AM
JeffSG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[sm=exactly.gif] Clermont HD is a great dealer that genuinely cares and has an excellent staff. Sure, I have run across a few dealers out there that don't care, but the majority of them I have dealt with are great. Retired Ted stated it well.

God Bless and ride safe,

ORIGINAL: Retired_Ted

ORIGINAL: SteveO

We, the HD customer should be the ones on strike, ..high prices, poorquality, dealers that don't have a clue, or care!

SteveO
No matter what the product, there are some dealers who are crap. I resent being lumped into that category though - some dealers will take a beating by unreasonable customers who continually beat the dealer over the head. You wouldn't believe how unreasonable some people are when it comes to service, warranties, schedules, ---the list is long. Customers are not dragged into the showrooms - If the quality is so poor, why do people still buy them? Your comments make little sense to me.

Old 02-08-2007 | 12:13 PM
stglideblk
Cruiser

I think for the most part, most dealers are no different than us, they ride Harleys just like us. its when the peanut counters get involved when things go to s%$t. It appears to me that Harley somewhat prepared for this, because the dealers where i live are loaded with dressers. i was a member of uaw years ago and like someone else said the union protects the non producers and this costs everyone money.

Old 02-08-2007 | 12:16 PM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

In a strike no one wins, labor or management. Other unions will watch the outcome of this strike.Contracts from other companies will be negotiated in the coming year. Benefits are a major consernfor everyone over the age of 25. Fairand reasonableis what everyone wants. They all ask for the extreme andend up in the middle someplace.Maybe someone should look into why health benefits are so costly?

Unfortuantly this takes time and if you are waiting for a bike it sucks big time.