Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

THINGS GOIN DOWNHILL AT YORK

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007 | 03:58 PM
uniondog
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: THINGS GOIN DOWNHILL AT YORK

Scottys RoadGilde

The steel mills were a true disaster- but those workers and companys were doing well untill the off shore compitition was allowed to dump their gov. subsidized products in the US. Lets face it folks its the global issue thats caused the entire problem . The rest of the world is willing to work for next to nothing to bring jobs to their countries. At first its the low skill labor work. Then US corp. and the US Gov. begin to invest money into training and tooling. The Gov of the countries paved the way for the businesses to operate with out the restraints that are present in the US and I'm not talking about unions - I'm talking about Human Rights issues, Safety issues, Enviromental Issues. It not just the wages and benefits. Its the entire cost of doing business offshore that has cost us jobs in the US.

While this Country claims it has been working to "Lift the rest of the world up to a standard of living like in the US" what has really been happening is the standard of living in the US is being pulled down due to "cost pressure from off shore compitition". The compitition was set up by the corporations who are cutting our wages and ending health care and benefit plans.

This was not an accident. This is the progress of a plan that began with the first collective action by emplyees to get a fair shake from their employer. The corporations have hated to give up every penny & every benefit the worker was able to gain through collective action. They have found a way to take it all back - exploit the workers of underdeveloped nations - desparated people who will work for next to nothing because its better than nothing at all. At the same time pull the bottom out from under the American worker - Companys are Eliminate Health Care Plans, Pension Plans. The Gov is working on Eliminating Social Securiy, Cutting Medicare (Check Bushes New Budget if ya don't believe it) and spend more money to lift up the underdeveloped nations.

Sounds kind of crazy don't it - Well sit down and take a good look at the past 25 years - it might not see m so crazy when you look at the whole picture.

They have us fighting with each other over issues we shold be standing together on - Health Care - Living Wages - Retirement - Social Security - All of US need these things. None of them are bad ideals.

I don't think anyone who read this post would say no thanks I'm just a worker and I should have to pay the whole cost for those thing out of my pocket if they were offered to them by their employer as part of a wage and benefit package. That used to be the case, most jobs offerd these benefits until the events above began to really take shape.

Our discussion should be geared toward how secure these things for all of us. Not why a group of workers should not be able to maintain them. The IAM members on strike in York are fighting for something we all would like to have and We need to support their efforts

That's my .02 some say its more like 5.00 worth but none the less, thats how I feel

respect
UD

Old 02-09-2007 | 04:38 PM
Maple Leaf Hog
Advanced

You said it.
Only the Union Execs win.
Here in Canada near Toronto we have union leaders getting involved in politics and other non worker issues while plants close and move to Mexico and China.

The big unions here are taken big hits. (GM, Ford, Chrysler).

P.S. I have a 06 EG Standard. So far ridden 6000 km with only 1 blown fuse.

[IMG]local://upfiles/22010/2E5A16C431C747E99BD1F765507460AE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-09-2007 | 05:05 PM
uniondog1
Intermediate

[align=left]Maple Leaf Hog,

I think they need to be involved in politics, but the workers in the country they are representing should be their #1 priority.

The same goes for our elected gov officials it somtimes seems like if I want to get the best representation from the US gov I need to live in a different country - I can not understand how we can say we will help address the problems on the other side of the world when we can't fix the F^&*in healthcare / social security system here. Billion & trillions for the world and broke at home.

If I acted that way in my house the o'l lady would end my term real quick and visa versa. I think their all a bunch of lying F*&^s. You just got to hope you elect the one that is the least dishonest.

You would think they would take care of those (american public) who pay their salary and make sure they (gov reps) have health care and a retirement plan, but when I think about it a little more - maybe they are (political payoffs) and we just don't want to beleive it

respect

UD
[/align]

Old 02-09-2007 | 05:08 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that damaged part made it to the assembly line and into my bike.

Old 02-09-2007 | 05:26 PM
Maple Leaf Hog
Advanced

Healthcare in Canada is not really issue other than wait times.
We have Universal Health Care here.
Companies only pay for drug plans and dental.
We are taxed for Health benefits though. It is only $600 per year per person depending on income plus Employers contribution.

Anyway,
The unions here are making some companies uncompetative.
As far as my political comment I was referring to a siuation happening where I live.
The USWA are involved in supporting a Native Occupation that is happening here.
As far as the occupation goes I am not saying whether it is right or wrong.
But is this where the union dues should be being spent? What has this to do with protecting workers.
It seems that some unions have lost there way.

As far as the government goes. what can I say.
The previous Canadian Govt has been caught up in corruption scandels while the country falls apart.
We are involved in the war on terror in Afghanastan with our 3000 troops. (keep in mind Canada is a country with only 30 M people). This is large and very expensive for us. and we are constantly giving money to third world nations and then forgiving the loans while our taxes sky rocket out of control and people are continously being expected to work for minimum wages (retail, soon all that will be left).

Respect,

Jim...

Old 02-09-2007 | 06:18 PM
hd2007
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"In our glorious fight for civil rights, we must guard against being fooled by false slogans, as 'right-to-work.' It provides no 'rights' and no 'works.' Its purpose is to destroy labor unions and the freedom of collective bargaining... We demand this fraud be stopped."
Martin Luther King, Jr.

Old 02-09-2007 | 07:43 PM
Bigredone
Road Master

In a month or so, I bet those union workers will be wishing they had never heard of a union. Bill will be coming due, some will be getting sick with no medical coverage all because the union convinced them that a strike was the way go. Some will find other employment and struggle to get by.

Some will lose there houses, cars, and file bankruptcy. They have shown their loyalty is for the union not the company that feeds them. You can bet the Moco will not forget that!

All the while, the unions exects will be sitting on the a$$es drawing fat paychecks tell the worker they are doing the right thing.

Will Moco suffer? Sure but they will recover fast.

GO FIGURE

Old 02-09-2007 | 07:52 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most employees know what can happen during these times and shouldve been ready for such a thing.This wont last long,both sides want an agreement and will get one as long as communication lines stay open.

Old 02-09-2007 | 07:59 PM
hd2007
Road Warrior

So maybe they deserve a big Thank You ! Because Union wages make non-union wages go up .As for your comments , conister the source.
ORIGINAL: Bigredone

In a month or so, I bet those union workers will be wishing they had never heard of a union. Bill will be coming due, some will be getting sick with no medical coverage all because the union convinced them that a strike was the way go. Some will find other employment and struggle to get by.

Some will lose there houses, cars, and file bankruptcy. They have shown their loyalty is for the union not the company that feeds them. You can bet the Moco will not forget that!

All the while, the unions exects will be sitting on the a$$es drawing fat paychecks tell the worker they are doing the right thing.

Will Moco suffer? Sure but they will recover fast.

GO FIGURE

[IMG]local://upfiles/16696/70BA6D4A5E79486EA52DB854582ACB54.gif[/IMG]

Old 02-09-2007 | 08:31 PM
uniondog
Advanced

Showing loyalty to a company that wants to cut benefits and send work out is about the same as showing loyality to a wife who is stealing from you and screwing the guy on the next block - Loyalty is a two way street

respect

UD