Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accessory switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 07:39 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Accessory switch

Can anyone give me a heads up about the accessory switch? Is there a switched wire somewhere thatI can use to power up lets say led nlighting? A friend mentioned something about it being under the seat, and I did find this unused connector

Attached Thumbnails Accessory switch-porkchops-039.jpg  
Old 01-27-2013, 07:46 PM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I tapped into mine under the fairing but have heard that it terminates under the seat. Couldn't find it with my test light though.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:56 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 534 Posts

on my 07 it was under the seat just in front of the battery,the one in your pics doesn't look like it.it was similar with 4 lighter gauge wires into the back and a rubber plug ontop,under the rubber plug 4 small holes that accept duetch connecters.u can get a harness from dealer or use crimp on duetch connecters.the acc switch controls one hole other is acc switch.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:57 PM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The one you have found is what they call the B+ wire it is not switched.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:31 PM
South Jersey Scooter Trash
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As mentioned its a 4 plug duetch terminal under the seat with a rubber boot plugged into it you can buy the harness adapter at Harley,JP cycles,etc. $18.00 to $35 .00 I bought the duetch conn. at a local heavy equip. dealer and made up my own.One port is acc.switch pwr. one is brake lights one is running lights and the other is signals.

Last edited by South Jersey Scooter Trash; 01-27-2013 at 08:33 PM. Reason: more info added
Old 01-27-2013, 08:32 PM
RPS1981
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agreed. The wire you posted a photo of is B+. Not only is it not switched, I'm not sure it isn't still hot even when the bike is off? I may be wrong about that part. But it's not the wire you're after.

You're looking for a square plug that will have four wires going to it. It's under the seat, near the battery. It has four pins (or sockets? can't remember if it's male or female). The four pins/wires in the plug are: (1) ground (2) hot whenever the ignition is on (3) hot whenever the brake is on, and (4) the one you want, hot when the ignition is on AND the accessory switch is on.

These are all in one connector. I'm too lazy to run down to the garage to get the service manual. The wiring diagram shows which color wire is which. I've seen it posted in other threads. You'll figure it out.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:51 AM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 418 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by RPS1981
Agreed. The wire you posted a photo of is B+. Not only is it not switched, I'm not sure it isn't still hot even when the bike is off? I may be wrong about that part. But it's not the wire you're after.

You're looking for a square plug that will have four wires going to it. It's under the seat, near the battery. It has four pins (or sockets? can't remember if it's male or female). The four pins/wires in the plug are: (1) ground (2) hot whenever the ignition is on (3) hot whenever the brake is on, and (4) the one you want, hot when the ignition is on AND the accessory switch is on.

These are all in one connector. I'm too lazy to run down to the garage to get the service manual. The wiring diagram shows which color wire is which. I've seen it posted in other threads. You'll figure it out.
This.

...and the B connector is always hot. This is the wire you want if you buy Jason's fan kit with the thermal switch.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:15 AM
Scaredofrain
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RPS1981

Logic would say that it's a female as that gives less chance of accidental contact with anything. Although the Deutsch connecter minimise the chance anyway it is a rule followed for most connectors.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:29 PM
Hotrodz_n_Harleyz
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

It's under the seat, in front of the battery on the right side of the bike, or at least it is on my 2000 RK. It's a square plug with 4 pins. It may or may not be capped with a rubber plug. And yes, that is exactly what i use to turn my LED lights on and off.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:46 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys