Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought the Wife some HD heated Gloves for Xmas

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 04:00 PM
davedyna
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Bought the Wife some HD heated Gloves for Xmas

It is my understanding from reading the forum posts that these are made by Gerbings, my questions are should I continue the Gerbing/HD route or is there something better and rather than wiring up the gloves now should I hold out and buy a dual controller? Along those lines, what if I want this stuff as well, do I wire in additional dual controllers etc. I don't want a **** factory hanging off the bike so what is the cleanest, smartest initial implementation for future expansion of a heated equip system. Are there concerns regarding battery draw etc. In other words, guidance is required -thanks

Dave

Old 01-27-2013, 04:09 PM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If your going to add more stuff later, then buy the dual controller. One side controls the gloves and the other side controls everthing else. One box, two *****. Gerbing, warm & safe, and TourMaster all enterchange. They all have the same type of plugs. I have a W&S controller for my Gerbing gloves because its 30 bux cheaper than Gerbing.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:45 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I bought the Gerbing's for this winters riding. My hands just weren't as warm with the same winter gloves that used to be okay. but then my circulation is not as good at 72 as it was before either.

I did not buy any accessories until I gave them some use and be sure of what else was needed.

I ride when the roads are clear and the temps into the 20's. The gloves did a great job. In the 50's they were too hot. In the low 20's they were okay.

The instructions said to use a 3 amp fuse for gloves only use. That turned out to be not enough. The fuse would blow every now and then. Went to a 5 and it has been okay so far.

When the first fuse blew I realized a weakness in the hook up. The fuse is just after the battery connectors so it is under the seat. I modded the length so that is just outside of the seat and a new fuse can be installed fast.

So no controller needed for me at this point. I can go a couple hours in the 20's. If I were to ride three hours I would need to add heat gear to my feet.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:06 PM
davedyna
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks folks. So one controller per person's gear or one overall controller (I assume the former) going to do some homework on it later today. Also, if just gloves were wired, one controller would cover both folks ?? I am trying to picture freedom of movement and amount of wire dangling from gloves to controller. Well, I probably should do some more reading before burning up people's time in the thread.