Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt adjustment on SG or RK Custom

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007 | 09:36 PM
iclick
|
Extreme HDF Member
Default Belt adjustment on SG or RK Custom

My belt is in need of adjustment and I've just consulted the service manual for the procedure. The first problem is the 1 7/16" socket required, which of course I don't have. Second, they describe a "torque adapter" to use to avoid removing the right muffler (HD-47925). It appears to be a piece of metal maybe 6" long with a 1/2" drive slot on one end and the 1 7/16" socket on the other. Since the SG has a lowered rear suspension, the axle is on a higher level than on a normal touring bike, e.g. Ultra, and it appears there may be enough clearance for a socket.

Has anyone with and SG or RK Custom (same suspension) done this with a regular socket? Not sure where to buy the HD-47925 "torque adapter," and I don't want to buy a big socket if it won't fit without removing the muffler. How about a crows foot? Wouldn't that be as good as the HD adapter?

Old 02-07-2007 | 09:44 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Default RE: Belt adjustment on SG or RK Custom

use a big ole monkey wrench....adjust the belt to where if you grab it in the top middle you can rotate it 1/2" either way...crank it down....ride on

Old 02-07-2007 | 10:24 PM
fairplay
Road Master

I use a big ol' adjustable wrench. That works fine. I have had best success going a little bit looser than what HD recomends.

Old 02-07-2007 | 10:26 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

Number 1, the socket size is 36mm, not 1 7/16". Removing the right muffler is no big deal. There is the bolt that holds the clamp, andtwobolts that hold the mount in the rear, then the muffler just slides out.If you loosen the clampand take two bolts off of the rear mount the muffler will probably drop down enough to get the socket on without completely removing the muffler.

Regards,

Bill

Old 02-07-2007 | 10:49 PM
fairplay
Road Master

common Bill a metric socket... on a harley!

Old 02-07-2007 | 11:53 PM
RANDIT
Cruiser

I need to buy a manual sounds like there are so many adventures to be had taking things apart

Old 02-08-2007 | 12:04 AM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior

Bike tool kit works fine...

Old 02-08-2007 | 12:06 AM
iclick
|
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: fairplay

common Bill a metric socket... on a harley!
I've learned to expect them on the forks, battery, etc.--but not the dadgum axles!

Old 02-08-2007 | 12:08 AM
iclick
|
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Richard
Bike tool kit works fine...
I doubt if this wrench will allow 100 lb./ft. torque required to tighten the bolt. I could be wrong, but tend to think this is an emergency device only.

Old 02-08-2007 | 12:09 AM
SteveO
Road Master

There is a 36 mm tool in the tool kit forthis. I would think it is for breakdowns on the road.

Removing the right muffler is the only way to get the proper 100 ft/lbs torque on the nut after you adjust the belt. You may have to do it several times to get the belt right. HD has a belt tool that makes it real easy.

SteveO

Quick Reply: Belt adjustment on SG or RK Custom